Sundays Cook 1st time ABTS...

Mike H.

TVWBB Member
A few people coming over Sunday afternoon to throw some shoes and eat ribs, chicken(roadside)
and burgers. planning on ABTs for the first time. Looking for aproximate time for cooking them. Any sugestions?
Thanks
Mike

2-3 hours is what it's been taking me at 230-240º. They're done when the bacon crisps so try to get the thinner cut bacon .. I've been using a meduim thickness.. (assuming you're asking for a time on the ABT's)

Bill

I have had mine take as long as 4 hours to crisp up. Worth the wait though.
icon_smile.gif

I have been doing mine on the kettle, they usually take about 45 mins/1 hour on there, but again, just until the bacon is crisp. Man, ABTs are about the finest thing on the earth.

The beauty with ABT's is that you could do them fast or slow.

If you have something else on and you are at the 250 range, I find 2 hrs is usually the mark. I use thin bacon as well.
If you are just doing ABT's I would run the temp up to 285-300 and I would bet you would be in the 1 hr range.

I think that "low and slow" doesn't really apply to ABT's. Obviously you want some smokey flavor, but it's not like we are trying to rend fat or allow collogen to break down.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Man, ABTs are about the finest thing on the earth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're exactley right.

Back