Sunday dinner

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Sunday is about the only day of the week I can herd the cattle around here. Everyone is busy these days.

So idk what we’re doing for the 4th so I’m making a modified July 4th bbq today

Homemade potato salad, macaroni salad, three St Lou racks and a pan strawberry shortcake with some blueberries on top.

More pics to come as this unfolds. It’s only:

1688322133023.png
1688322156836.jpeg

1688322175756.jpeg

Potato salad and macaroni salads are cooked and brining right now (DWV and sugar).

Next the pots will be containered and cooled. Once cooked, then they’ll get mayo’d and seasoned. Same for the macaroni. They’re in their brine and will get diced red pepper, mayo and celery.

Last edited:
Made my Magic Dust. And used almost all of it!

No salt in the rub. This way I can control the salt for each slab. And these slabs had some nice skirt meat on them so I’m going to smoke those too and keep those for myself 😂

1688327326839.jpeg

1688327344655.jpeg

It’s now:

1688327389236.png

I’m 100 Fl Oz in on the day. Wish me luck as I set up the WSK and build the fire.

Estimating a cook time of 3.5 hours total.

Made my Magic Dust. And used almost all of it!

No salt in the rub. This way I can control the salt for each slab. And these slabs had some nice skirt meat on them so I’m going to smoke those too and keep those for myself 😂

View attachment 73874

View attachment 73875

It’s now:

View attachment 73876

I’m 100 Fl Oz in on the day. Wish me luck as I set up the WSK and build the fire.

Estimating a cook time of 3.5 hours total.
I buy whole spares when the price is right & trim them down to St. Louis, I freeze the skirt for future sausage projects. I'm surprised with your skill set you haven't attempted some sausage. I look forward to seeing that Cali twist on some sausages! Lol!

NY Deli style macaroni salad. Has a slightly sweet tang. I reduced the sugar amount in this recipe as we don’t really like sweet food.

And the flavor is on point for anyone seeking a NY deli style mac salad.

I added celery and red pepper. Then a pinch of salt, black pepper and a splash of ACV for more twang. And some fresh dried Italian parsley that I made a week ago.

1688336044612.jpeg

I buy whole spares when the price is right & trim them down to St. Louis, I freeze the skirt for future sausage projects. I'm surprised with your skill set you haven't attempted some sausage. I look forward to seeing that Cali twist on some sausages! Lol!
Sausages are on my list. I’m about to hit Rome and get some knowledge and recipes. Figure me for late summer for sausages. Right as football starts.

I’m okay butchering spares to St Lou’s. I coked these skirts for snacks. They’re always a hit.

We have some smoke action going on. The hood smells good.

1688338132684.jpeg

1688338152387.jpeg

I set a probe on the center rack. Cook is going along smoothly. Some nice smoke off that seasoned oak I chainsawed a few weeks back.

1688338522578.png

Last edited:
Sausages are on my list. I’m about to hit Rome and get some knowledge and recipes. Figure me for late summer for sausages. Right as football starts.

I’m okay butchering spares to St Lou’s. I coked these skirts for snacks. They’re always a hit.
"Old school, Artisan!" taking sausage to a whole new level, I like!

"Old school, Artisan!" taking sausage to a whole new level, I like!
Yup. I’m seeing old world techniques and knowledge. Then I can mod it to CA rustic fresh. My goal is to get closer to earth and natural. And then add a modern flavor profile. Even fusion of cultures and ingredients.

Yup. I’m seeing old world techniques and knowledge. Then I can mod it to CA rustic fresh. My goal is to get closer to earth and natural. And then add a modern flavor profile. Even fusion of cultures and ingredients.
Just remember when it comes to sausage, less is more, meaning ingredients......

Back