Sunday afternoon, socially distant...Church on-line and steak on the Platinum!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
We had "church" on-line again this Sunday. Tried to make Sunday feel a little better by doing a top sirloin on my Genesis Platinum using GrillGrates.

Platinum Cooking.jpg

Top Sirloin on Platinum using GrillGrates.jpg

One of my favorite childhood memories of summer up north included Sunday afternoons when my Dad would grill a top sirloin steak on his Hibachi and Mom would make my other favorite: corn on the cob.

Today we tried Florida bi-color and white sweet corn:

BiColor Corn on the Cob.jpg
White Corn on the Cob.jpg

Larry, If you read this, I would have to agree that the bi-color Florida corn left a lot to be desired. However, the white was about as good as I have had. We should be arriving in Indiana just about the time the first REAL Midwest corn comes to the stands:giggle:. Looking forward to that and to planting my own corn, green beans, etc. Still, it is pretty nice to get local (Belle Glade) sweet corn in April!

I will be posting something separately to tell a little about why we are moving...:(:giggle:

Yah, I love July when the local corn hits the supermarkets for 10-15 cents an ear. Steak, corn on the cob and a big slice of the middle of a watermelon. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Jon, I am going to buy some steaks (beef) today. I definitely prefer Ribeye, but sirloin is so much cheaper and actually a bit healthier with less fat.

Well, trying to be a little tight with move coming up. One big sirloin was enough for all of us. Buying strips or ribeyes would have definitely tasted better but cost a lot more, too!

Yah, I love July when the local corn hits the supermarkets for 10-15 cents an ear. Steak, corn on the cob and a big slice of the middle of a watermelon. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Jon, I am going to buy some steaks (beef) today. I definitely prefer Ribeye, but sirloin is so much cheaper and actually a bit healthier with less fat.

So which of 20 something grills are you going to cook your steaks on :giggle:?!!!!

Probably going to be my Bluehead Genesis, except I have two painted end caps on top if it drying right now. Probably going to have to use the Q200, but I really would like to do them on the Genny. Cool, but otherwise nice day today. I spent a few hours this morning painting my Skyline rehab. I am hoping to put it together tomorrow and photo it for CL and FM MP. Not sure what I will be picking up next, but I have a green head all disassembled and ready for some elbow grease. But, I have someone who might be looking for a two burner, so that could take precedence.

Well, I wound up with a couple NY strips. I got these for nearly the same price they wanted for the meager selection of Sirloins. No corn, still that southern stuff at 50 cents an ear. Price would OK but it ain't the good stuff. I did see watermelons for $6 and grabbed one of those. Sticker says it came from Guatemala.....:oops: Also grabbed a pack sliced Baby Bella mushrooms for the side.

20200419 NY Strips and Baby Bella Mushrooms-1.jpg

20200419 NY Strips and Baby Bella Mushrooms-2.jpg

Looks great! Wish I could have sent you some of my Florida white corn. It really was extremely good, but I know I will be blown away this summer by Indiana-grown fresh sweet corn😋!

I drive through a lot of farmland for my job here in Michigan. Nothing better then stopping by the farm and picking up some sweet corn from their stands.

Never had or even seen white corn from FL here. Yes once you sink your teeth into some super sweet from the midwest the difference in soils will become seriously evident. Nothing compares to it.
Yesterday did a lamb loin roast found on sale at Aldi and a Prime NY Strip for my dad, myself, my brother in law and my oldest nephew. Thankfully dad still has his Genesis 2000 now 3000 he bought back when they first hit the market so it still has wood slats. He also has (thanks to my careful scavenging) some heavy stainless 3/8" rod grates from an old Summit. 20200419_162719.jpg

That sure looks good on both sides!

If things go through, I figure this year will be farmers markets and corn stands (plus berry farms - my other favorite). Plan my vegetable garden and berry patch over the winter and start planting next spring. Sweet corn 🌽 is high on the list - probably more than one variety, but, Larry, I will be sure to include Illini Super Sweet!

Back