Summit S-650 rehab/restore

Took off the doors and cleaned both sides. I might pull the back off the doors this winter and paint them silver. Would be cleaner than the slightly rusted edges currently

Attachments

• 1000003689.jpg
    1000003689.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 9
  • 1000003690.jpg
    1000003690.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 1000003691.jpg
    1000003691.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 1000003683.jpg
    1000003683.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 1000003684.jpg
    1000003684.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 11
  • 1000003687.jpg
    1000003687.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 11
  • 1000003688.jpg
    1000003688.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 1000003686.jpg
    1000003686.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 10
Success! The rotisserie burner seems a little finicky though. It takes a few tries before it fires, and then I have to keep trying a few more times to get it to stay lit. I am holding the knob in, it just seems to go right out. Maybe i need to adjust how far the thermocouple sits in towards the burner?

Attachments

• PXL_20230912_223834066.jpg
    PXL_20230912_223834066.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230912_223755301.jpg
    PXL_20230912_223755301.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 7
Success! The rotisserie burner seems a little finicky though. It takes a few tries before it fires, and then I have to keep trying a few more times to get it to stay lit. I am holding the knob in, it just seems to go right out. Maybe i need to adjust how far the thermocouple sits in towards the burner?
The rear burner on my Wolf, sometimes gets a little finicky like that

For the IR Roto burner, You are supposed to hold the burner knob or igniter or whatever in for about 20 seconds after it initially ignites.

From an S470 manual:
After a period of non-use, before lighting the rotisserie
burner, a few seconds must pass for the gas supply line to fill.
When using the snap igniter you will see a flash of flames
moving from left to right across the rotisserie burner
surface, the rotisserie burner is not lit until the entire
ceramic surface is aflame.

At this point, start a count of twenty seconds before
releasing the rotisserie burner control knob.
The rotisserie burner surface will glow red once the burner is
fully ignited.

For the IR Roto burner, You are supposed to hold the burner knob or igniter or whatever in for about 20 seconds after it initially ignites.

From an S470 manual:
After a period of non-use, before lighting the rotisserie
burner, a few seconds must pass for the gas supply line to fill.
When using the snap igniter you will see a flash of flames
moving from left to right across the rotisserie burner
surface, the rotisserie burner is not lit until the entire
ceramic surface is aflame.

At this point, start a count of twenty seconds before
releasing the rotisserie burner control knob.
The rotisserie burner surface will glow red once the burner is
fully ignited.
That's exactly what I'm doing, it just seems like it ignites and then goes right out, even while holding the knob in. I'll try and get a video later

Really nice job. Looks fantastic. I disabled the thermocoupler on my builds as they are a pain in the ***.
How does Weber use the t/couple? I have one on my Wolf and honestly it's a bit of a PIA and would like to look into the same. Mine is a mechanical (liquid?) bulb and small flexible pipe going to the main control valve box. If Weber is doing the same would love to look into it or even convert it to something not mechanical in nature

Here is what mine is doing. If I use a long reach lighter it will eventually catch and stay lit

Last edited:
Mine has a pilot, that lights, with the igniter, then it heats the t/couple for a bit, and you can hear the control valve "click". Once it does you can release the knob. The pilot stays lit all the time until you turn the burner off

Mine has a pilot, that lights, with the igniter, then it heats the t/couple for a bit, and you can hear the control valve "click". Once it does you can release the knob. The pilot stays lit all the time until you turn the burner off
Sounds like that one is a bit more complex. I'll maybe pull the manifold and see if there is a dirty connection somewhere causing my issue

Took off the doors and cleaned both sides. I might pull the back off the doors this winter and paint them silver. Would be cleaner than the slightly rusted edges currently
What do you think the best way to take the doors apart would be? Mine weren't too bad so I just used a wire cup and drill to clean them, but may need to paint down the line.

What do you think the best way to take the doors apart would be? Mine weren't too bad so I just used a wire cup and drill to clean them, but may need to paint down the line.
I would simply drill the rivets and remove the backs. Then rivet back on afterwards

Could it be leaking gas from somewhere? That big blue whoosh flame looks concerning since the burner itself doesn't actually light/stay lit.

I bought one of these recently; it could be worth helping find a leak on this grill or future grills.

Leak Detector

Not all of them have this but does yours have an air shutter? It darn near looks like too much air getting in there. Did you change fuel type? I honestly forgot if you did

Back