Summit Kamado grate height?

MichaelM

TVWBB Super Fan
Can anyone confirm the distance between the Summit E6's charcoal grate in the high position and the grill grate?

Curious if the accessories for my 22" will fit in the Summit.

This is from the original Summit Charcoal, but I assume it remains unchanged - the distance between the top of the charcoal grate in the top position and the bottom of the grill grate is 4-1/8in.

Capture.PNG

Thank you for this info.
Can't imagine why Adrenaline stopped producing the low-profile SnS.
I've read that on the Gen I there is a way to place a 17.5" charcoal grate in a position below the stock high position. This might provide enough room to insert the SnS basket. Not a show stopper but I love my SnS and would love to be able to use it.

Is the GBS grate for the your Gen I made of stainless?

Thank you for this info.
Can't imagine why Adrenaline stopped producing the low-profile SnS.
I've read that on the Gen I there is a way to place a 17.5" charcoal grate in a position below the stock high position. This might provide enough room to insert the SnS basket. Not a show stopper but I love my SnS and would love to be able to use it.

Is the GBS grate for the your Gen I made of stainless?
Yeah I haven't bought a SnS for that reason, however I imagine that it would not be too hard to rig something up to have the charcoal grate at an intermediate height that would work.

The SnS charcoal basket fits in the WSCG and is designed similar to the SnS. The SnS low profile is convenient, but really not a necessity for the WSCG with Kamado mode, but I do feel like I get a little more consistent smoke results because I throw chunks on top after grill is at temp and while putting food on instead of during warm up in kamado mode, but more practice would fix that. I’ve also seen several people say that they just use the regular SnS and let it hold one side of the grate up a little bit.

The SnS charcoal basket fits in the WSCG and is designed similar to the SnS. The SnS low profile is convenient, but really not a necessity for the WSCG with Kamado mode, but I do feel like I get a little more consistent smoke results because I throw chunks on top after grill is at temp and while putting food on instead of during warm up in kamado mode, but more practice would fix that. I’ve also seen several people say that they just use the regular SnS and let it hold one side of the grate up a little bit.
Not sure what you mean. Adrenaline recommended using the small SnS basket... the one designed for the Kettle 18" and Jumbo Joe. When you say Kamado mode you mean the charcoal grate at the top position, correct?

Yeah I haven't bought a SnS for that reason, however I imagine that it would not be too hard to rig something up to have the charcoal grate at an intermediate height that would work.

I added a middle grill grate in my WSM. Easy enough to add the tabs to the WSMs grate straps. But they are through bolted with easy access. I'd have to see the Summit Charcoal in person to know if it is doable.

@ Darryl.. thank you. I suppose the only thing I haven't confirmed is...
Can the SnS Deluxe from the 22" Kettle fit if the top charcoal grate is removed and a secondary grate installed a bit lower. And to that, while I know I was able to add a middle third cooking grate to my WSM to make it work for grilling, I am unsure if an additional Charcoal grate could be added between the two stock grate positions. The grate straps on the WSM are fully removable and the barrel of the smoker is straight. With the taper in the bottom of the WSK maybe a 17" grate can just sit on the grate straps?

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean. Adrenaline recommended using the small SnS basket... the one designed for the Kettle 18" and Jumbo Joe. When you say Kamado mode you mean the charcoal grate at the top position, correct?
Kamado mode is with fuel at the bottom and using a diffuser plate. Like a BGE or Kamado Joe would run. Many people will argue that there’s zero need for a SnS on a Weber Kamado or WSCG, because it’s already designed to be a smoker in this fashion. I was lucky enough to find a SnS low profile for mine, but I get the argument, it’s not really needed and it reduces cooking capacity on the grill. In Kamado mode I can run 16 hours easy without doing anything once it’s going.

However, I really don’t see why using the SnS Charcoal basket would give much difference in results to the SNS except it’s not stainless and won’t last as long.

However, I really don’t see why using the SnS Charcoal basket would give much difference in results to the SNS except it’s not stainless and won’t last as long.
I lose you with the above comment... Do you mean you don't see why the Weber Charcoal Baskets would give much difference in results to the SnS basket?

Yes, I understand the LnS setup on the Kamado. I don't see the need for the SNS when doing a low and slow smoke.

How do you setup for a reverse sear? That's where I would see the using the SnS or the Weber basket. Of course the Weber baskets can work just fine, but I like that I can position the SnS against the side of the grill and put the dripping griddle on the other side, so all airflow is directed up through the coals in the SnS.

Did you find the low profile on the aftermarket or were you able to buy one before they stopped production?

I lose you with the above comment... Do you mean you don't see why the Weber Charcoal Baskets would give much difference in results to the SnS basket?

Yes, I understand the LnS setup on the Kamado. I don't see the need for the SNS when doing a low and slow smoke.

How do you setup for a reverse sear? That's where I would see the using the SnS or the Weber basket. Of course the Weber baskets can work just fine, but I like that I can position the SnS against the side of the grill and put the dripping griddle on the other side, so all airflow is directed up through the coals in the SnS.

Did you find the low profile on the aftermarket or were you able to buy one before they stopped production?
I haven’t been talking about Weber’s charcoal baskets at all. I’m talking about the charcoal basket from snsgrills.com. It’s a baby Slow N Sear. You could use it for reverse sear just like a regular SnS. You wouldn’t be as tight for airflow, but should work fine. IMO, reverse sear is a little overrated, especially on charcoal. I get better results just piling the charcoal to one side and doing a front sear. As you get perfect control on the sear and don’t risk overshooting temps.

I got my SnS LP overseers while a place in Great Britain held old stock and spent to much money on it.

Thank you for the reply. I understand. You are referring to the basket made for the Jumbo Joe. My apologies.

I have found zero issues with the reverse sear. Either way, if we are ending up with something that meets or exceeds our expectations, it doesn't much matter how you get there.

I am going hold onto the idea of creating a middle charcoal grate position in hopes of not having to buy or otherwise deal with a second basket. If that doesn't work, I'll just make another Bro-n-Sear at the proper size. Easy enough to make.

There are a lot of posts here that for whatever reason I am just not following.
I would offer any assistance if needed.
I have the Jumbo Joe, performer and the E6.
Also have the SNS that fits the performer and the SNS that fits the jumbo joe if any pics are required.

There are a lot of posts here that for whatever reason I am just not following.
I would offer any assistance if needed.
I have the Jumbo Joe, performer and the E6.
Also have the SNS that fits the performer and the SNS that fits the jumbo joe if any pics are required.
Thanks for the offer.
The SnS that fits the Jumbo Joe fits in the Kamado, correct? The one for the performer does not.
Not a rush, but a picture of how the grate straps are attached would be helpful. From what I can find, it looks like they bolt on similar to the WSM rather than welded on like the kettle.
If you take out the stock charcoal grate and ring, can you drop the grill grate from the Jumbo Joe in as a pseudo charcoal grate? Would never do that but the from what I read, the size is right and it should fit between the two stock grate locations, leaving enough room for the larger SnS to fit.

If the SnS doesn't fit, it isn't a show stopper. I'll just make another Bro-n-Sear using the Weber charcoal baskets..

Well it is supposed to be raining a lot here today, if it is not I can take a picture of the racking system in the E6 for you.
I don't know if the SNS deluxe fits in the E6 or not, I had hopes it would when I bought it.
I have the 18" SNS and I know it is pretty shallow so there is no question on that one.
I used the SNS in the kettle last night and was thinking of this thread, it is pretty tall so we will see pending the no rain.
I love the SNS deluxe, there isn't many things I do not use it with when I cook in the kettle.
I have only used the E6 for smoking purposes so far and that is the plan moving forward unless a big comes along and I need the grilling space.

Gathered from another thread that fabricating a 'middle' mounting location for the charcoal grate would give about 6.5" of headroom to the cooking grate. That would be enough to fit the SNS Deluxe. Nothing says the alternative mounting location has to be at the mid point, so if more space is needed, the mounts could be lower. Just have to see how the charcoal grate mounting brackets attach to the lower bowl. I did this mod on the WSM, so have to think I could do it on the Kamado.

Can't see buying the 18" SNS for the Kamado when the stock Weber charcoal baskets are about the same size and arguably more versatile, albeit not stainless.

Okay I did take some pictures for you the other day.
I forgot to post them,
All the stuff in the E6 including the grate mounts, the SNS deluxe inside with and without the grate on. Not the 18" SNS because it fits in there 100%. So I will get those up for you tonight.
I'm at work now and seriously just forgot but I will do it for you.

I hope there is enough there for you to figure out what you need to.

Attachments

• CE73B802-801E-4B47-BED2-CBDBC42B8228.jpeg
    CE73B802-801E-4B47-BED2-CBDBC42B8228.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 80D349B1-3644-4EA8-B78D-BA5E9E76297F.jpeg
    80D349B1-3644-4EA8-B78D-BA5E9E76297F.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 31
  • AC7A4ED4-4FFE-4951-AFF9-410D5F8057DD.jpeg
    AC7A4ED4-4FFE-4951-AFF9-410D5F8057DD.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 428ED55F-F758-46A1-97D1-0486198A52BA.jpeg
    428ED55F-F758-46A1-97D1-0486198A52BA.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 243E3684-A09C-4529-AE7F-D7203525228E.jpeg
    243E3684-A09C-4529-AE7F-D7203525228E.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 33
  • 0FF9190F-E53B-48D4-AA01-BB1114C43D49.jpeg
    0FF9190F-E53B-48D4-AA01-BB1114C43D49.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 17173424-385D-43C6-B007-08B4284DF6C6.jpeg
    17173424-385D-43C6-B007-08B4284DF6C6.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 23
  • D85F77D6-F8CE-4DBA-A0D1-B14BCBA9DCC0.jpeg
    D85F77D6-F8CE-4DBA-A0D1-B14BCBA9DCC0.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 31
This helps a ton. Thank you. In image #1.. it appears the grate straps are attached to the lower bowl by a combination of a tab and a single bolt. Am I correct? The proper size charcoal grate could sit right on the mounting bolt. Judging by the height of SNS-D above the cooking grate lip, in image #4, it looks like a charcoal grate sitting right on the strap bolts would give enough headroom for the cooking grate to sit as it should.

This would be awesome. No real mod needed. Just need the right size grate.

The problem would be that that 3 ring outside section where you can set the grate against doesn't move.
It comes with the assembly secured on...so getting a slightly smaller grate still wont let you put an SNS in there unless its more in the middle.
If it comes down to grilling on it I will be using the 18" SNS or weber baskets...no much for other options as far as I am concerned.

Back