Summit ignition issue

Doug Randle

TVWBB Member
Ok, I’m at a loss, just rebuilt this one and now the starter works intermittently. If it’s cool out it sparks/starts just fine . If weather is warm then it won’t spark? What am I missing?

Well if cold be the actual electronic device is having issues. Maybe with condensation building in it

Strange. I would expect the opposite to happen. Are you keeping the grill inside or is it under cover or out in the open?

He's in FL so cold is "relative". Cold there is 60 not -60 like it is for us LOL and when they warm up lots of moisture to go with it

Oh, OK, no freezing issues then. I guess I just assume everyone is stuck in the arctic in January.
As far as the temps go, it could be an issue of parts expanding and contracting in the igniter which is causing a loss of contact as well. It might take some playing around with the module to figure out what is up.
An easy thing to try would be a different battery and see if that does anything. Low cost and simple.

What you might do is try disconnecting the leads from the starter module when it is warm out and the module is not working. Then use a wire to create an small gap between the connections and push the button to see if you are getting spark. If you are getting spark, then you know the problem is in the wiring from the module to the electrodes. If it doesn't spark, you know the problem is the module.

Yah, much easier to do that than try to create the gap for the spark to jump. Let us know how that works out for ya.

for the record i did say cool out not cold😜 yeah 50’s is about as “cold” as it gets here
the grill sits outside.
3CACB181-D237-43B0-AFE5-74653727DDC5.jpeg
i have replaced the wires between battery module and block and also tried the battery swap.

DId you check for spark when it isn't otherwise working?

My guess is that living outside, it is exposed to moisture quite a bit and that plays hell on the electronic igniters. You might be in for a replacement igniter module.

DId you check for spark when it isn't otherwise working?

My guess is that living outside, it is exposed to moisture quite a bit and that plays hell on the electronic igniters. You might be in for a replacement igniter module.
I’ll. Try that and see, I have a cover for it when not in use.

Sometimes covers are even worse as they "Hold in" moisture. Daily heating and cooling can trap condensation moisture inside the grill even when there hasn't been rain for days. This is especially bad when the grill sits in direct the sun during the day.

Ok update, now it’s been woking fine after playing with it for over a month..... now that I ask for help, it fixed itself....

The igniter on my Weber E-330 NG just quit after 4 years. It worked fine before our recent super-freeze, but after a few days in single digits, no fuego. Replacing the battery did not produce even a click, and the contacts look clean. I guess the cold killed it.

Looks like it's time to order the $39.99 replacement kit.

Check inside the battery compartment to see if there is gunk or corrosion on the contacts. If so, clean them up as bet you can and try a new battery.

They are an excellent company. I have used them quite a bit. When you do this try putting a dab of dielectric grease on the battery ends to prevent any corrossion

Being the cheap inquisitive person I am, I would open up the module (if possible) and resolder any connections inside, including on the circuit board, and check all plugs and connectors (and battery terminals) for corrosion. (If you're going to reuse the exterior wiring and plugs you'll have to do that anyway.) If that didn't fix the problem, then I'd buy the module.

I would open up the module (if possible) and resolder any connections inside, including on the circuit board

I have not looked at my module, but a guy on YouTube was going to crack into his, only to find it was a sealed unit.

I emailed Weber and asked if I could get just the module (hoping they might just send me one for free). They replied:
a replacement module for your Genesis E-330 (# 88826 - $17.55) is only available from us through our call center. Please give us a call at 1-800-446-1071, anytime from 7 AM-8 PM CT, 7 days a week.
That's reasonable, but I decided to just order the whole $39.99 kit from Amazon (no shipping) because one electrode has always been troublesome no matter how much I adjust or clean it. If the new kit solves that intermittent issue, then the extra $ will be worth it.

Back