Summit Dilemma

Losing the skirt also would let you see the tank scale a lot easier.

While I prefer the tank on the outside for rust and access and storage, in that tight niche the external tank accessed from the right side is a bit of a pain.

Having seen these in person, and comparing them to new Genesis piece for piece? I would be all over this https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-...ral-gas-grill/prod26693205?xid=plp_product_21 like flies on a pile. Every piece is made better/stronger.
I happened to see a used version of one of these Member's Mark grills for sale. He started at $200 and is now down to $100. I realize the damage could have been caused by extreme carelessness - and certainly that a new Weber Genesis could break similarly - but I think we need to be fair in our overall evaluation of this Sam's Club alternative. This Member's Mark does have a lot of good features. At $100 it's almost getting to a fair price just for those 304 stainless grates.

To me, though, that cast aluminum sure looks paper thin :unsure: ! What good is having cast aluminum if it is so thin that it can easily break?

Members Mark THIN firebox.jpg

Members Mark THIN firebox 2.jpg

I did not find it any thinner than on a Weber. Honestly I'm of a mind (especially since getting this pellet grill and seeing the amount of "good" in it), that it's time the blinders come off. I've compared the new Genesis on the same day same shopping trip (since obviously I cannot in the same store) and frankly I see no reason to pay upward of $1k for the "name". Now I did not put a caliper on them, but I can tell ya come next spring when they're all out in full bloom I will. But my informal finger feeler gauges tell me the Member Mark is as heavy as weber's casting, the grates are WAY better, the heat tents are at least as thick and 304SS honestly it's time the "stigma" is not there. If I stayed in the same frame of mind as this I would have never bought my first Toyota :D
If I was not so attached to having rotisserie (though I guess I do have the Wolf) I would honestly buy one of the MM Pro series and live with it. Since my Genesis is needing a LOT of work now. IDK, it may still happen then I would report first hand. But, quite honestly when I bought that pellet grill, I did not expect to find something built as well as $1k brand name ones but I did. I only bought it because it was cheap entry. But, now? I'd buy it for the quality

Larry, I definitely agree that the new Genesis also has very thin aluminum (as well as very thin stainless shelves). I also agree the MM presents a much better value proposition in comparison. Maybe a little homely, but I sure like that 304 stainless! (y)

I guess with all the positives the Members Mark offers, I was disappointed to see that it, too, had what I think is unrealistically thin cast aluminum. All of which pushes me back to the classic old Genesis grills where the firebox actually had substance and the frame was actually a FRAME. I saw this gem on one of my Facebook feeds. Give me this grill over ANY new big box store grill:

Black Genesis Beautifully Restored.jpeg.JPG

Well yeah when you look at a classic old Genesis no comparison. I'm simply pointing out value for the $$$ if you're walking in to a store and wanting something brand new. That is where Sam's did their homework. But if you throw an old good Genesis in the mix (even at new prices) no comparison. Weber wins. Sadly I don't think we're gonna see the "old" Weber quality and value any time soon again :(
It does make me sad as well. They were one of the last bastions of USA quality.

Well, the good thing is that there are still quite a few classic Genesis grills out there. Although parts are getting trickier, with some effort and determination, you can still bring them back like that stunning “brunette” I posted above. Hopefully, there will still be some buyers out there who appreciate solid old fashioned Made in USA quality and timeless styling.

Yah, I meant in terms of years, but you are right. I should choose my phrasing a bit better.
No worries. I was just kinda makin a little "fun" on the word choice is all. I get it though. Thing is though, I'll lay odds by the time the newer models made off shore (or largely made off shore and boxed here) will not have a plethora of replacement parts available like the older ones do/did.

I think you are right, Larry. Also, some who have restored the newer Genesis grills tell war stories of decaying internal stuff that could be impractical to restore. And just like modern computerized cars - and certainly electric cars - are likely to defy restoration in the future, I think the very newest “Tech” Genesis grills will be extremely difficult to restore later after their then out of date electronics have failed.

You can still have a ‘57 Chevy built from scratch today (they use only an original cowl), but good luck restoring a Tesla 60 years from now🧐!

Back