Summit Dilemma

DanC

I bought an older Weber Summit s470 about a year and a half ago. I was having a patio built that included a shelf for my Kamado Joe and a nook for the Summit. I'm normally a function over form type, but part of the decision was to buy something that looked good on the new patio. The Summit has the look we like, the full stainless, enclosed shelves, hidden LP tank, etc.

The landscaping has since been redone, but here's the cooking area:

20210710-184302-Original.jpg

I should have looked at the grill more closely when I bought it but when cleaning it up and then using it, some problems came up. There are holes in the front of the cookbox. The knobs work fine and it lights easy, but are a little cockeyed. The knob for the smoker box (which i never use) just broke off this week. The IR burner in the back doesn't stay lit (probably needs a new thermocouple) and the rotisserie motor needs to be replaced.

image_67222529 holes.JPG
image_16862465 broken knob.JPGimage_16872705 crooked knob.JPG

Judging from the control panel and lid, it looks like there might have been a flare up that got through. I've never seen that happen though.

image_16877057 panel.JPGimage_67223297 panel 2.JPG

I mostly use the gas grill for quick cooks and weeknights because I enjoy cooking on the Kamado Joe. But I've been using the Summit more and really like the way it cooks. Even made a great steak using the sear zone.

I'm considering whether to fix this up. I called Weber and the only part that's still under warranty is the lid. They told me I have the Summit S-470 LP (2008), Model #2740001. I figure I'd need to replace the cookbox ($465) and the manifold ($240). If I wanted to fix everything it would cost another $150 for the rotisserie motor, thermocouple, and missing forks, and $60 to get the lighted knobs working.

Naturally, that had me thinking its time to get a new grill. I'd like one that's stainless, 4 burner, closed shelves, & a hidden LP tank. The Napoleon 500 RISB would make the most sense, though I haven't determined whether that requires AC power. And its not cheap at $1,500. The Summit s470 is like $2,700 which sounds crazy to me. The Genesis 435 is nice, but in designing my patio, I figured that Summit s470 is the biggest grill I'd ever want. Its 66" wide and I built the space 68" wide. The Genesis 435 is 68.5" wide. Its also hard to swallow the $1,700 price tag.

Am I crazy to think that maybe its not so bad to spend $700-900 to fix up my Summit instead of spending $1,500+ on a new grill? Of course, that assumes my repairs work and it still leaves me with a grill that has no warranty.

The other option would be to just use the Summit as-is. It cooks well, and I'm not that interested in the rotisserie anyway. Is it dangerous to use this grill with the holes in the cookbox?

Might want to do yourself a favor and ditch the Summit in favor of a grill that won't turn into a rust bucket/money pit. Check a Napoleon or such. Heck Sam's Club sells a better grill (save for no rotisserie capability).

Since you say that it cooks well, I don't see any reason to buy a new manifold. I would say replacing the cookbox is a necessity at this point, that's seems to fail on all Summitt grills and yours is pretty bad. I don't think it would be crazy to fix that grill, forum member Joe Anshien just finished restoring a slightly newer version of your grill and it came out great. He did have the advantage of getting a new cookbox from Weber under warranty though.

If it were mine I would do as Steve suggests and replace the cook box only and keep on cooking. I would be keeping a look out for a not so near future replacement though.

Many on here know the woes of trying to restore the summits, which have unfortunate design flaws.

I’d put no dollars or effort into it. Once it breaks down, I’d replace it with a 2011-2016 Genesis 1 s330 with a sear burner and side burner in stainless. I own said grill. Looks pretty similar to the summit.
A 3 burner ng could be had easily for $300 or so. LP a little bit more. Easy to find on fbm or cl. I don’t know if they made a four burner gen 1 or not. Three burner is a big cooktop though. Might be the same or bigger than the working cooktop of your summit since that has the smoker box.

Will last longer and be easier to keep going than the summit. Plenty of spare parts and donor grills available.

Three burner is 60 wide.

Last edited:
Many on here know the woes of trying to restore the summits, which have unfortunate design flaws.

I’d put no dollars or effort into it. Once it breaks down, I’d replace it with a 2011-2016 Genesis 1 s330 with a sear burner and side burner in stainless. I own said grill. Looks pretty similar to the summit.
A 3 burner ng could be had easily for $300 or so. LP a little bit more. Easy to find on fbm or cl. I don’t know if they made a four burner gen 1 or not. Three burner is a big cooktop though. Might be the same or bigger than the working cooktop of your summit since that has the smoker box.

Will last longer and be easier to keep going than the summit. Plenty of spare parts and donor grills available.

Three burner is 60 wide.

+ 1

Except for the 2 fixed wheels, I'm very happy with my G2 435 so far.

When not in use, do you keep it covered to protect it from the elements? Highly recommended.

I thought the 435 was too wide?

Edit: The new/current 435 is too wide at 68.5. The Gen 2 435 is a nice fit at 65 wide.

Last edited:
Except for the 2 fixed wheels, I'm very happy with my G2 435 so far.

When not in use, do you keep it covered to protect it from the elements? Highly recommended.

I wasn't worried about the wheels because I don't plan to ever move it. But what I discovered when I got it in place is that I don't have enough room to get the tank in/out. And since the wheels on the right side don't swivel, I have to lift it and swing that side out for access. Not the end of the world, but could be easier.

I probably will get a cover. I'd prefer not to, as the silver looks better than the black drape, but I want to make this one last.

The S435 looks great in the nook.

Thanks. It actually sort of hides tank, too.

You did good Dan. Nice back yard btw. (y)
Thank you. We had a the whole yard redone last year. Patio, cooking area, fire pit area, sod, & plantings. The first picture above is after the patio but before the landscaping.

Soon those laurels in the background will grow into a tall hedge and give us some additional privacy from the neighbors.

I thought the 435 was too wide?

Edit: The new/current 435 is too wide at 68.5. The Gen 2 435 is a nice fit at 65 wide.

Exactly. Weber extended the right side table on the new model.

Does the left side shelf on the gen 2 fold down?

It does fold down on some of the other g2 models. Which would be perfect for pulling the grill out of the alcove to get at the tank.

For a cover, try the Zober covers on Amazon in the light gray color. Cheap, don’t fade and imo look better than the black. And you can turn it around so you don’t see the logo.

Last edited:
If the left side table is fixed, just lift it up. The big wheels are actually good for moving imo. Since that side is where the heavy tank is.

Too bad the left shelf doesn’t flip down like it does on some gen 2 models. That would be perfect for that niche.

Looks great there. I would take off the right front skirt covering the propane tank and put a nice Weber tank cover on to make replacing the tank easy. Also buy a cover. Water in the grease pan will overflow and rot your cabinet.

Back