Summit Charcoal vs Summit Kamado Grill Straps: 2 Levels vs 3 Levels

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I received a Facebook message from Ryan Ung about the grill straps in the Summit Kamado E6 he purchased here in the US. He attached this photo:

235978705_580293816671706_2557285797484845673_n.jpg

Now compare that to the grill strap in my 2016 Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center:

IMG_2913[1].JPG

He's got 3 levels, I've got 2 levels!

Turns out that Weber added this new middle level for indirect grilling.

For direct grilling, you place the center support ring + fuel grate on the top level of the grill strap.

For indirect grilling, you place the center support ring + fuel grate on the middle level of the grill strap and use the Char-Baskets and a foil pan to create an indirect grilling setup.

For smoking, you place the fuel grate on the bottom level of the grill strap and place the center support ring + smoke diffuser on the top level of the grill strap.

The 2020 owner's manual is a bit confusing on this point. They only redrew the diagrams for the indirect grilling setup to show this new middle level; it's missing from the direct and smoking diagrams. And the terminology used is not correct, either. For direct and smoking, they continue to call the top level "middle" as was done in the previous owner's manual.

Anyway, I kind of wish I had this new three level grill strap. I've always felt that the indirect grilling setup was a bit too close to the cooking grate. This new design provides a bit more vertical space. It might also provide more space for third-party add-ons to fit.

Interesting. Same part number on both schematics, but the S6/E6 images clearly shows the 3 tabs, while the older Summit Charcoal image only shows 2.

i might be confused (not the first time, nor last), on my E6 the outer fire grate ring is affixed to the bottom of the kettle and the inner grate is the one that moves downward for indirect and smoking. IIRC, the inner ring only fits the bottom most catch and also fits the affixed outer ring, so there's two fire grate positions, correct? am i reading correctly that Chris, you're stating the fire grate has three possible positions, upper most, middle and then bottom catches? i've cooked on my E6 using direct and indirect but believe i could only place the coals grate in one of two positions.

apoligies in advance if i am creating any confusion here.

Last edited:
I read this thread earlier and I had to come back.
I was going to say pretty much what you did Brett.
I was going to go home and look but I am pretty sure there is only 2 places to put the charcoal grate on.
The cooking grate sits on the bowl of the kettle itself so it only has one spot to be.
I feel like this is right but I would have to look before I would bet all my money.
I also purchase a second charcoal grate after it was mentioned on here by another member from out west.
Good purchase....around $30, the bottom grate never moves, only the top if you need to grill.
I could share the part number provided to me in that thread if anyone wanted to get one.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the straps with a middle level were all the Australian manufacture or model. I have a newer (S6) and only has the two levels for charcoal.
There he is, my second charcoal grate recommender.
I wasn’t sure if you wanted me calling you out or not.
Thanks for the back up, I was going to drag it all out now that I am home but thanks for confirmation.
I know you use yours all the time.

I read this thread earlier and I had to come back.
I was going to say pretty much what you did Brett.
I was going to go home and look but I am pretty sure there is only 2 places to put the charcoal grate on.
The cooking grate sits on the bowl of the kettle itself so it only has one spot to be.
I feel like this is right but I would have to look before I would bet all my money.
I also purchase a second charcoal grate after it was mentioned on here by another member from out west.
Good purchase....around $30, the bottom grate never moves, only the top if you need to grill.
I could share the part number provided to me in that thread if anyone wanted to get one.
I will check mine this eve when I head home; Like Darryl, I don't want to make the wrong bet.

Please do share the part number. Question, is this so I can be lazy and always have a bottom coal grate in place and then just move the other inner grate out to drop coals to the bottom grate and not have to play elevator with going up and down with grates/coals?

Now if there are any manufacturers out there, I'd love to have a half circle coals basket (SS please) or mesh, for larger indirect cooks as I do like to spin my cooking grate from indirect to direct to develop char without having to move my proteins around at all. I am currently using the Weber baskets as a small circle for direct/indirect spin but the surface area of the formed circle is too small for my liking.

Yea, I could just put coals on the coal grate but it's just easier for cleanups and relights to dump my basket contents into my chimney and add fresh coals and then dump the hotties back into the baskets to cook. #FirstWorldProblems

Sounds easy to replace, would it be worth doing to lower the baskets by only just a bit?
I don’t think it would keep any less heat of the grate really.

I will check mine this eve when I head home; Like Darryl, I don't want to make the wrong bet.

Please do share the part number. Question, is this so I can be lazy and always have a bottom coal grate in place and then just move the other inner grate out to drop coals to the bottom grate and not have to play elevator with going up and down with grates/coals?

Now if there are any manufacturers out there, I'd love to have a half circle coals basket (SS please) or mesh, for larger indirect cooks as I do like to spin my cooking grate from indirect to direct to develop char without having to move my proteins around at all. I am currently using the Weber baskets as a small circle for direct/indirect spin but the surface area of the formed circle is too small for my liking.

Yea, I could just put coals on the coal grate but it's just easier for cleanups and relights to dump my basket contents into my chimney and add fresh coals and then dump the hotties back into the baskets to cook. #FirstWorldProblems
Yes, never move the grate up and down, just add the top one on when it’s grilling time.
Grant shared it with me and I bought from the source he provided I think.
Let me take a look for the thread.

I thought it was I this thread.
I swore it was Grant that got me the part number because he has the same grill.
There is another fellow west coast Canadian here too, maybe it was him.
I only looked quick, I can check later if Grant doesn’t set you up.

I thought it was I this thread.
I swore it was Grant that got me the part number because he has the same grill.
There is another fellow west coast Canadian here too, maybe it was him.
I only looked quick, I can check later if Grant doesn’t set you up.
exploded view: https://www.weber.com/US/en/help/schematics/browse/18201004

item 26PN 65815Lower charcoal grate

$28.90 per

Was it in that thread...sorry I’m kinda busy.
But looks like you found it.
Do it....be lazier lol.....
The link in one of the threads where he gave me the part number takes you to a link and it can be bought there, sounds like the same name of the site you posted.

Well considering I don’t own a phone, I’m should learn what this googly thing is.
I had an invention earlier but didn’t follow up on it.
It was called Loogle. :ROFLMAO:

called Weber. it was $24.99. got it for $19.95 because I was nice today. and i told the rep i was using weber charcoal grills before he was born and low and behold, i was correct by 6 months. whatadeal! next level laziness achievement unlocked!

Back