Summit 650S restore or let it rot

Dan_Will

So my father in-law gave me his old 650s NG
I always loved this grill even with its known issues
I can understand why so many people in my area have switched to Nappys after having a closer look and reading about its issues on this board

So first the good
Everything on this works perfectly and it cooks great
It’s not unusual for us to have 10 people show up on a sat afternoon after a atv or motorcycle ride
So a big grill like this fits our lifestyle
Was actually considering buying a Nappy pro665 before this but COVID put a hold on any Major spending this year

So now the bad
The base was falling apart due to rust
Used some slotted angle iron to make it solid for the time being as a quick fix
The firebox one small hole so far but I can see it only lasting a couple of years at best
The doors couple of dents and scratches over the years
The doors are actually the part the bugs me the most cause the rust just looks damn ugly
The knobs while functional everything is worn off

So here is the plan
Grill is a 2009/10 model but was actually old stock bought from local seller in Jan 2011 on clearance sale
Father in-law still has the bill so I can prove it to Weber if need be

Hopefully get Weber to replace firebox burners and hood under warranty
Hood and burners have some minor surface rust
Not noticeable unless you look real close

The stand
Priced out the 1-/14x1-1/4 tubing
Can make a whole new stand for around $180 in materials and a weekend of my time in the garage
The doors keep a eye open for a good used set for a cheap price or just paint the old doors red or black
The knobs I might just paint or leave as is

The thing is I don’t want to throw any money at this unless I am going to get 5 years or more out of it

So am looking for honest opinions fix it up or keep as is and hope to get a couple of years

Attachments

• 550ADF2E-0150-4FC5-ACEF-001F493C2595.jpeg
    550ADF2E-0150-4FC5-ACEF-001F493C2595.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 47
  • A1D963BF-2537-4C28-8246-5DA1FCE7CAC9.jpeg
    A1D963BF-2537-4C28-8246-5DA1FCE7CAC9.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 41A33691-FF29-41FD-91A6-E149BC8AF644.jpeg
    41A33691-FF29-41FD-91A6-E149BC8AF644.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 47
  • FD06E4B2-365C-4E41-B126-AB8AF52563BB.jpeg
    FD06E4B2-365C-4E41-B126-AB8AF52563BB.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 46
If you can get some parts replaced under warranty you can definitely get 5 years out of it, but whatever you do don't tell them that your father in law gave it to you. I had the same situation and they told me the warranty was no longer valid. Just have your father in law call them, especially if it has already been registered.

If you can get some parts replaced under warranty you can definitely get 5 years out of it, but whatever you do don't tell them that your father in law gave it to you. I had the same situation and they told me the warranty was no longer valid. Just have your father in law call them, especially if it has already been registered.
What he said. The good is that Weber still supplies parts for them

I agree with the above advice. Get them to replace as many of those parts as possible. Especially the "functional" parts like the cook box panels.

Email has been sent to Weber with pictures so fingers crossed
Father in-law never registered the grill so I just did

Never understood why companies don’t warranty a product if it changes owners
Is not the warranty on the product and not on the owner

Seems like a scam to get out of warranty coverage to me

Now to try and find a couple of decent doors

Dan, I can see one reason. I pick up a lot of grill to rehab and several still have warranty on them. Is it fair for me to buy the grill used for $25 and then call Weber to replace a bunch of the parts so I can resell it for $300?

Dan, I can see one reason. I pick up a lot of grill to rehab and several still have warranty on them. Is it fair for me to buy the grill used for $25 and then call Weber to replace a bunch of the parts so I can resell it for $300?
Yes it is IMO. After all the warranty is on the product not the person

Well what would keep the original owner from doing the same
Get a bunch of warranty parts and then turn around and sell the grill

Well what would keep the original owner from doing the same
Get a bunch of warranty parts and then turn around and sell the grill

Nothing! Actually a good strategy if you just want rid of it. I have also seen people re-sell new replacement parts where I think they decided the original was good enough or sold the grill "as is" without using the replacements first.

Valid points on both sides of this argument.
EVERYONE is out to save a buck.
Weber is in the business of selling grills and keeping
original customers (that spent hundreds or thousands of
dollars) just happy enough to buy another Weber as soon
as possible. They don't give 2 shoots about the grill itself or any
subsequent owners. Just bizzzness!!

I think warranties are all about helping to make the initial sale. They assure the potential buyer that the manufacturer stands behind the product for a certain period of time and will make things right if they go wrong. If you look at a warranty that way, there's no reason to extend it to subsequent owners, as there's no sales incentive.

Look what happened to companies like LL Bean warranting everything they sold for life... people were going to flea markets and buying items from e-bay and then returning them for a new items saying that they were worn out or outgrown. LL Bean was losing money.

Those people ruined it for the rest of us that have the receipt in-hand as actually bought the item new from them.

Jeff

Those people ruined it for the rest of us that have the receipt in-hand as actually bought the item new from them.
Jeff

Yep, Jeff, a certain amount of buyer integrity is assumed. I knew an IT guy years ago that bought a DVD player from Costco, used it for 3+ years and when it quit, took it back to get his money and then bought another one. Or the people that used to buy a high-end camcorder before going on vacation and then returned it for a refund when they got home...

Bottom line is the warranty is what it is. If you don't like the warranty, then you are free to check out charbroil. I am not trying to be all high and mighty, but Weber makes their warranty as they see fit. You either accept it or find something else.

Email has been sent to Weber with pictures so fingers crossed
Father in-law never registered the grill so I just did

Never understood why companies don’t warranty a product if it changes owners
Is not the warranty on the product and not on the owner

Seems like a scam to get out of warranty coverage to me

Now to try and find a couple of decent doors

You may be better off just calling, just do it as soon as they open so you aren't on hold long. I sent in some pictures with their online warranty claim, then a week later after I hadn't heard anything I called. Long story short, I got my replacement parts and then 6 weeks later I got an email back from the original claim telling me it wasn't covered.

I knew an IT guy years ago that bought a DVD player from Costco...
Several of my family members do work or have worked at Costco. The stories are hilarious...people returning completely worn out tires, five year old big screen TVs (before they changed the return policy)...they just took it all back.

Several of my family members do work or have worked at Costco. The stories are hilarious...people returning completely worn out tires, five year old big screen TVs (before they changed the return policy)...they just took it all back.
Lots of places used to have some pretty crazy return policies

You may be better off just calling, just do it as soon as they open so you aren't on hold long. I sent in some pictures with their online warranty claim, then a week later after I hadn't heard anything I called. Long story short, I got my replacement parts and then 6 weeks later I got an email back from the original claim telling me it wasn't covered.

Surprisingly enough i got a email from Weber a hour ago
Order has been approved and gave me a order number

Back