Suggestions for Smoker Accessories

John_H

TVWBB Member
I'm a fairly new owner of a WSM and all I really have is the smoker, a charcoal chimney and charcoal. My wife keeps asking me what I want for Christmas and I was hoping to get suggestions from all of you regarding smoking accessories you have found helpful. The only thing that has made it on the list so far is BBQ gloves and a rib rack. Any ideas?

Welding gloves are usually a cheaper and sometimes better option the BBQ gloves.

Meat thermometers are great. If you want a wired solution, check out the TW362B from Thermoworks, a great probe thermometer. They also make the Thermapen, which is a very fast thermocouple design, a true "instant" read. No waiting 10 seconds for it to read. I don’t usually cook by temperature alone, but it’s great while you are learning.

There are several sites that sell smoking woods (someone else I am sure can list some), might try something different you can’t get in your area.

Oh yeah, you could always give her a list of meats you want to cook! Just tell her to wrap them up in a cooler with some ice to look like a present.

A big, heavy spatula comes in handy when removing pork butts after cooking. I got this one years ago at some kitchen outlet.

Weber starter cubes
Welding Gloves
Insulated food gloves
Several long pairs of tongs, 1 just for moving charcoal
Thermapen
Maverick ET 732
Big alum or plastic shallow pans for carrying meat to and from the smoker
Weber Way To Grill or Big Bob Gibson Cook Books
18.5 WSM you need a 18" x 500yd of HD Foil (for the pan) 22.5 WSM 24" x 500yds
2 extra cooking grates and Garage Door Handles for this mod : http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...80069052/m/470107135
Metal charcoal buckets with lids for storing leftover/ reusalble charcoal

Just to name a few
icon_biggrin.gif

MaveRick ET732 will definately boost confidence and provide a little piece of mind on those long cooks..

Another good one I'd personally wish for is a BIG roll of tin foil wider than 19"..I cannot find any around here!
icon_confused.gif

Beer. Perhaps a flashlight for those overnight cooks. Beer. Good thermometer w/ remote. Beer. Good gloves. Beer.

If you have to choose one of the above, I choose beer.

If you like puled pork then add a pair of Bear Claws. They my time to shred a pork shoulder to less than half. Thanksgiving day they were also helpful to lift the turkey off the WSM.

Maybe a gift card from Lowes or Home Depot. You can grab some wood to build you're wind break and pick up some other bbq tools.

Maverick ET732 Remote

Thermopen

Leather Welding Gloves for handling hot non-food stuff

Heat Resistant Neoprene Gloves for handling hot food (nothing like just reaching in and taking meat right off the grate)

Coleman 25qt/33qt Party Stacker Cooler for holding and a perfect fit for alum pans

From one Jayhawk to another...

-Wireless thermometer (I have the Maverick ET-7). Of all the stuff I've bought for the WSM, this has been the most used and most important.
-Insulated food gloves (I have the ones from Amazon by Steve Raichlen)

Rock Chalk!

<LI>Maverick wireless thermometer (ET-72 or ET-7) - this will hugely increase your confidence in what you are doing and also in knowing better when your meat is ready to be pulled from the pit.

<LI>Tongs, nice long tongs - I've used mine to set and pull everything from small (4#) chickens, briskets, pork butt, to huge (20#) turkeys.

<LI>Stoker (2 food probes, 1 pit probe, and a 5cfm fan) - great for getting a better handle on controlling the fire. Love the ability to set it up and, on the colder days, go inside and monitor the cook on my laptop from the side of the couch while watching the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Mills:
Beer. Perhaps a flashlight for those overnight cooks. Beer. Good thermometer w/ remote. Beer. Good gloves. Beer.

If you have to choose one of the above, I choose beer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are all great suggestions, but you left out the most important item..............BEER!!!!!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

big food grade plastic tub for pulling pork

Never have enough thermometers

one of those propane weed burner blow torches to massively light your coals infront of people

Back