Suggestions for my first tritip

First off I made a mistake, It's not 5.95 a pound It's 5.75 a pound for prime TT. Second I don't by meat from the store except if I can get a great deal I buy my meat from the abbatior down the street from my house... And yes if seen the USDA grade shield on the beef I buy from them. I live in Central California where TT is King and I buy it choice for 2.99 a pound and refuse to pay anything higher than 3.99 unless I'm going to buy prime.

I think there is a lot of fraud among meat purveyors re selling prime beef. When buying, you need to make a judgment based on marbling. In Conn, Stop & Shop sells Prime strip steaks and I believe they are in fact prime, based on the marbling. Anyway, they taste great. I can also get them at Stew Leonards, but they tend to be 1.5" thick and cost $30. But hey also taste great. As to the other guys opinion, look at the images presented. Which is prime?

Jan... I think you are correct, ie "I think there is a lot of fraud among meat purveyors..."

Looking carefully at that piece of meat in your picture, the muscle structure is all wrong. It is Not a Tri-Tip !!!

I am in totally agreement with Bob regarding your comment !

Last edited:
Guess we're lucky in CA as Tri Tip is pretty much available wherever you go and I cook it up weekly for my family. Just bought 5 partially trimmed prime tri tips from Costco for $6.49/lbs.

Great suggestions in the string for your cook. I would only add that once your done cooking. wrap in foil and let it sit for at least 30 minutes to let the juices settle. You'll still have some juice come out and settle in the foil and use that to pour over or mix the meat with it before serving. It'll be plenty juicy already but it just adds a little more.

On my WSM or Kettle cooks I will use Olive Oil and seasoning on the meat and cook indirect around 250* or 275* and pull at 133* for a nice medium rare with no searing. My family does not really like grill marks but if I do sear then pull at 110* and I'll sear on a gasser for a few minutes on each side to get the color wanted and then put back on the smoker to finish. The reason I don't finish on the gasser when searing is because I occasionally overshot my finish temp on the high heat so it's better and safer for me to finish on the lower temp WSM or Kettle. This cook can take anywhere from 50 minutes to 1.5 hours. Good luck and enjoy.

Hope this picture comes through... Really wish id of took the picture a few days ago as the Steak doesn't look as fresh as it I'd on Thursday.... It's a small slice from a prime TT.

TT is stupid expensive around here so, I simply don't bother. Who knows if it will reach "reasonable" pricing in my neck of the woods?!

Tri tips are very different than steaks when it comes to marbling.
I've cooked Select, Choice, and Prime tri tips.
Not a big difference in the looks of any of them. I have to respectfully disagree with that one Bob... There's a huge difference in marbling between the grades of meat...
I can send anyone a few pictures from my email account if you like to see a small prime grade Tri-Tip... not the best picture or the best looking Steak that was cut from the TT. But you can diffenently see the difference.

Oh,

Last edited:
Ok was able to post a few pictures on the TVWBB Facebook page of a small Tri-Tip steak I had left over.If you want to take a look.

Back