Substitute for Alder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Joe Peterson

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a bunch of Ahi Tuna that I would like to smoke this weekend.

Do I really need to go buy a bag of Alder chunks, or can I get away with a mild fruit wood like plum? Heck, I even have apple and cherry I could use.

Any thoughts?

I would grill not smoke, sear the out side and leave the middle almost cold, but if you want to smoke apple, cherry, or plum would be just find.
jim

Jim,

I want to try smoking some of the Tuna. I went on a big fishing trip and I have a whole bunch of tuna in the freezer. A number of the other guys on the boat were having their fish smoked commecially. A standard hot smoke with black pepper. I figured I could do that myself, so I'll be giving it a shot this weekend.

Meanwhile, I've been searing it quite a bit, too. Both on the grill and on a really hot cast iron skillet. I prefer doing it on a cast iron skillet at this point. I've found it's easier on the cast iron to get a good sear and cooked fish about 1/8 to 1/4 inch down. Trouble i've had with the grill is overcooking -- there is so much radiant heat coming from all around the grill that it's hard to control overcooking the whole piece. That tuna goes from red to grey really fast. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

That being said, I want to try Alton Brown's searing method where he just leaves his hot coals in the chimmney and puts a cooking grate on the top of the chimmney. He says this concentrates the heat.

Worth a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back