Stupid sausage question.

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
What kind of sausage is used for smoked sausage. Like the ones seen on tv from Kreuz, Smitty's and Blacks. Was looking at my butchers this weekend and had no idea what they use, so I ended up doing ribs...again. Sure could use a change from flats, butts and ribs.

You know, Bill?

I've been wondering the same thing.

Whatever is normally used, once we get it figured out, I'm gonna' get up early, and make some to have with pancakes for breakfast!

I'll be watching this thread too

In many places it's just pork. In central Texas it's beef and pork. There's some difference between places there but not a lot. City Market, e.g., uses all beef; most others, like Kreuz and Smitty's are 85% beef, 15% pork. All, iirc, use pork casings.

Yesterday, my wife brought home some apple smoked maple sausage. I cooked them indirect at 300 degrees for about 30 min and they were terrific. We had them with sauerkraut and disjoin mustard. We don’t have sausage often, but when we do it’s usually Italian hot and over time I have learned that cooking them indirect is better than grilling them direct. Most all of the sausage we eat is pork.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill S.:
Was looking at my butchers this weekend and had no idea what they use ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
YOU didn't or THEY didn't?

It can be just about anything. Typically it's 'scrap' meat from all over the carcass.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TravisH:

YOU didn't or THEY didn't?

It can be just about anything. Typically it's 'scrap' meat from all over the carcass. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't. I don't know if they use a Kielbasi type sausage, Italian or like a German white sausage, or the kind used in currywurst. That's what I can't figure out....If you've never tried currywurst they are delicious. I've never had it it the states though, just in Germany http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currywurst

Oh man, that brought back memories. Strolling down the strasse eating currywurst and pomme frites.
icon_biggrin.gif

Any sausage can be smoked. Because of the different seasonings in sausages, some taste better than others. I have grilled Italian sausage, but have never slow smoked it. I would guess that smoking wouldn't bring out the flavor anymore.

I smoked some sausage a few weeks ago..They were homemade using a store bought mix for smoked bratwurst. I added a few Tbsp of Super cure, and 2 lbs of medium cheddar cheese to 18 lbs of meat. Let them sit overnight, and stuffed and smoked the next afternoon till approx 165*. Ran under cold water for a few minutes, and then into the freezer. Very delicious.

I've grilled lots of it, but never slow smoked any yet. I make a lot of sausages, but just haven't "smoked" any yet. Your favorite sausage will work though, as long as you get it raw. Things like kielbasa in the store are already cooked/smoked, so you may not get much of an addition in flavor by re-smoking it at home. I'm a pork man, but i've been expanding lately. My goose breakfast sausage may be my best. Really came out nice, and its about 60/40 goose to pork.

I normally look for "fresh sausage", I tend to buy it all ready stuffed but if its loose I throw some other flavors in just for fun.I want to try a pear sausage next. I will just "crush" a few cans of pears in the chopper and add it in.

I'd suggest not - ends up too mushy/loose a consistency and you'll need to up the binder(s), decreasing flavor. Instead, use dried pear (soak in very hot water for 30 min, squeeze out excess water before use) plus, if you'd like, some ice cold pear juice in place of the ice water you would normally use. Better flavor, better texture. (You can do the same with dried apple, peach, cherry - any fruit for sausage.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike R.:
Things like kielbasa in the store are already cooked/smoked, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the problem I ran into. They had beef sausage and other sausages but they were already smoked. There are a couple "German" butchers/ pork stores stores around my area I'll check them out.

Scott where in Germany were you? I was in Ansbach/Katterbach from 83-85.

Good question Bill S. So good that no one has been able to answer it yet. I've never seen a good answer to this question anywhere.

I think you are looking for a type of fresh sausage, such as Polish, Italian, bratwurst, etc., that you can smoke to create Texas Hot Links.

You will need something with some hot pepper in it for these. I've tried Hot Italian links, but they don't have the right spices. I might give Johnsonville Hot 'N Spicy Bratwurst a try, but think a spicy Polish sausage would be a better match.

There may be a recipe on some of the sausage making boards if you want to make it from scratch. This one was at the top of Google.

Didn't realize a recipe was being sought. Here's one:

2 pounds pork butt, or a mix of pork butt and beef shoulder

1/2 bottle beer

2 teaspoons black pepper, coarsely ground

2 teaspoons crushed red pepper

1 teaspoon white pepper, finely ground

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 teaspoons paprika

3 teaspoons kosher salt

3 teaspoons dry mustard

1.5 tablespoons garlic, minced

1 teaspoon granulated garlic

.25 teaspoon MSG(Accent)

,5 teaspoon TenderQuick

.5 teaspoon bay leaf powder

.5 teaspoon coriander

.5 teaspoon thyme

Mix all spices with the beer.

Grind pork for sausage.

Mix beer/spices thoroughly into the meat.

Form into sausage links and grill or smoke.

Mr. Kruger,

When you get that made up..... how bout sending me some on dry ice!
icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds good, been wanting to get me a grinder!

Yes, but a cheap one from a wedding gift 17 yrs ago!

It makes a good mixed drink though!
icon_biggrin.gif

Where you going with this? Im in!

You can reasonably 'grind' meat in a processor. Takes a little time and patience but it works. (I do this all the time when cooking on the road. Not about to carry a grinder with me!)

Partially freeze the meat so cutting is easier then cut into 1-1.5-inch pieces. Try to make the pieces a consistent size (but don't go nuts over it). Spread out on a parchment-lined sheetpan and return to the freezer to par-freeze again, about 10 min.

Put your blade in the bowl and put just enough meat to cover the bottom without crowding and process by pulsing on and off till the meat is chopped kind of well, scraping the sides of the bowl periodically. Don't shoot for fine at this point, just chopped. Scrape this into a pile and put on the parchment in the freezer; repeat with the remaining meat till all is done.

Return about 1/3 of the meat to the bowl. If too frozen allow to sit for a few minutes. 'Grind' again, pulsing frequently and frequently scraping the sides down. If the meat gets too warm before it's done it will not chop finer. Scrape to the parchment and par-freeze again. (It's par-freezing that's the key to finey chopping meat.) Repeat till the meat is very finely chopped, mix alll together well, then continue with the recipe.

It's a bit of a process, as you see, but not difficult. Once you do it once you'll get a feel for it - how frozen you want the meat, how much to put in at a time, etc.

Note: Pork shoulder fat is all pretty much soft fat. If using beef, use shoulder (chuck) but feel the package before purchase. Try to avoid packages with substantial hard fat. Get those with as much soft fat as possible. Trim off and discard and hard fat/gristle before freezing the first time.

Back