Stupid sausage question.

Kevin,

How about using unseasoned ground pork purchased from a butcher for the sausage? Do you use a pastry bag to fill casings when you don't have your grinder?

Jim

I find supermarket ground pork to be a bit 'overground' for many sausage types, for my taste, but it should work okay.

I haven't used a bag to fill casings. If without the equipment I make patties or roll into ropes and cut, for 'skinless' links.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Didn't realize a recipe was being sought. Here's one:

2 pounds pork butt, or a mix of pork butt and beef shoulder

1/2 bottle beer

2 teaspoons black pepper, coarsely ground

2 teaspoons crushed red pepper

1 teaspoon white pepper, finely ground

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 teaspoons paprika

3 teaspoons kosher salt

3 teaspoons dry mustard

1.5 tablespoons garlic, minced

1 teaspoon granulated garlic

.25 teaspoon MSG(Accent)

,5 teaspoon TenderQuick

.5 teaspoon bay leaf powder

.5 teaspoon coriander

.5 teaspoon thyme

Mix all spices with the beer.

Grind pork for sausage.

Mix beer/spices thoroughly into the meat.

Form into sausage links and grill or smoke. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would it work if I ditch the MSG and TENDERQUICK? Both could trigger my migraines. Was thinking maybe of just mixing the meat and spices and making only the amount I need for each cook.

Yup. It works fine. I often cut them in this and others.

The recipe came from some place on the Net some time ago. I neglected to note the source at the time I noted it. I modded it slightly then, which is above, but change things pretty much any time I make it (and nesrly any other sausage).

For example, on this one, I often sub a different ground chile for the paprika, and always sub Aleppo for the crushed red (upping the cayenne a bit). I'll sometimes add a bit of sage or will replace the bay with it (frequently I only have fresh bay at hand). Feel free to cut or sub the cayenne if you prefer less heat.

Whatever you do, chill the mix well after mixing, and don't hesitate to fry or nuke a tablespoon or so of it, before forming, to taste for seasoning.

Great information here. I am wondering if the casing has any impact on the smoking process. I remember hearing somewhere that the certain casings can limit or even block smoke from penetrating into the sausage. It seems that this is not the case but I figured I would ask. Thanks

Back