Stumbled on this video

My kids gave me a Smoke Daddy Magnum P.I.G. last year for my birthday.

I took a bit to learn and so far have only adapted it to work on the BGE. I am hoping to build an adapter for the WSK E6 someday.

I'm hoping to do some colder cold smokes now that the weather is cooling down

Here is one of my cooks:

My kids gave me a Smoke Daddy Magnum P.I.G. last year for my birthday.

I took a bit to learn and so far have only adapted it to work on the BGE. I am hoping to build an adapter for the WSK E6 someday.

I'm hoping to do some colder cold smokes now that the weather is cooling down

Here is one of my cooks:

I made something similar many years ago. I got chain link fence post cap from HD and bought a length of aluminum pipe from an online metal supplier with an ID to match. Drill and tap a hole for an aquarium air line fitting in the bottom, put a screen in it, done. I had a cabinet smoker and I used a piece of metal ducting to connect the top of the aluminum pipe to duct it into the smoker. The Smoke Daddy is a much better design than the crude one I made but there is really not much to it if a guy really wanted to make one.

These things, or at least the one I made, put out a huge volume of smoke. I made a YT video of it, got a few views at first, but mostly forgot about it...then, 5 or so years later, I was surprised by a critical comment and because I had moved on from it, I took the video down. I've looked for it but can't find it, but it (the smoker) worked very well.

EDIT: I still have the smoker. If it wasn't one more thing to fiddle with, I'd consider putting it on the pellet grill. The point is, they are a simple thing to make if a guy was inspired to make one.

Last edited:
Found the invoice for the pipe, from July 2009 to OnlineMetals.com, in case anyone is interested in making one of these.

PRODUCTS
1 piece @ $14.46/piece
Aluminum 6061-T6 Bare
Pipe Schedule 40
3" nom. (3.5" OD x 0.22" Wall x 3.068" ID) Cut to: 10-12" random length
-------------------------------------------------
Shipping Cost: $10.61
Cut Fee: $0.00
Tax: $0.00

Ah, the good ol' days, when the internet was free from sales tax...

The 3" pipe cap is a perfect good fit, if it's not too distorted (they are cast so try to find a round one).

Last edited:
These things, or at least the one I made, put out a huge volume of smoke.
Yeah the first time I used mine I smoked out my neighbors, but I've learned a hotter fire generates less smoke and cleaner blue smoke.

I'm still learning and experimenting but I'm pretty sure I could bolt this to a side by side refrigerator and smoke in it.

So I stumbled on to this. Looks pretty darn interesting for nearly any kind of cooker
So Larry can you educate me or all of us on the differences between the Sam's and the Wal mart pellet grills?
I have seen the Wal-Mart model up close but i do not know what i am even looking at so i need some schooling here.
Thanks

Yeah the first time I used mine I smoked out my neighbors, but I've learned a hotter fire generates less smoke and cleaner blue smoke.

I'm still learning and experimenting but I'm pretty sure I could bolt this to a side by side refrigerator and smoke in it.
I'm certain that you could! This design is much better than the crude one I made...if I slowed down the air flow too much (cleaner smoke but less of it) the air fitting at the bottom of mine, being a push-lock fitting, would melt the plastic push-lock button and/or the air hose. It relied on a certain amount of air flow to keep the bottom cool enough to prevent that from happening. Locating the air fitting where it is on the Smoke Daddy is a definite improvement. I think they are a tad overpriced, though, but I'm a cheap @#@!***, and I get more enjoyment from rolling my own.

So Larry can you educate me or all of us on the differences between the Sam's and the Wal mart pellet grills?
I have seen the Wal-Mart model up close but i do not know what i am even looking at so i need some schooling here.
Thanks
I honestly don't know. That Tom Horseman guy did a full review on it on YouTube. Looks like a decent unit. IMO maybe not as well put together as the MM one but still a decent product. I would look up the YouTube videos of them both. FWIW I cannot even find the Walmart one listed anymore.

Also, for Larry...here's a better good explanation of the "P" settings, something that (I think) Traeger originated. Our MM grills got it backwards, if that is truly the way it works for an MM (I've never sat out there with a timer, so I don't know). Oh, I see my mistake...I am thinking smoke levels and the manual talks about temperature levels, which kind of doesn't make sense to my way of thinking, because the P settings are open loop and the temp isn't being watched.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know. That Tom Horseman guy did a full review on it on YouTube. Looks like a decent unit. IMO maybe not as well put together as the MM one but still a decent product. I would look up the YouTube videos of them both. FWIW I cannot even find the Walmart one listed anymore.
At least as far as I can tell, all the pellet grills work fundamentally the same. I think the market is moving away from "forever" grills because innovation and tech seems to be the thing these days. Once you get people to swap cell phones every year or two for a new model with more features, I think people begin to re-think the "buy once, cry once" philosophy. But apart from that, more money will get you a PID controller (more stable and accurate temp control), Bluetooth, WiFi, more stainless steel, more tables, and more flexibility features (able to use wood chunks and charcoal for flavor).

Last edited:

Back