Stubb's Charcoal making Ribs darker?

Max

TVWBB Member
Has anybody else experienced a quicker appearance of color on their ribs when using Stubbs?

I recently switched to Stubbs from Kingsford Blue and have noticed a drastic quickening from when I put the ribs on to when they get to the mahogany color (that's the time I like to start my wrap). I remember I used to be able to leave the ribs unwrapped for 1.5 to 2 hours before they got the color I liked.

With Stubb's, it takes ~30 minutes!! I cook ribs fairly hot...between 300-325, but not crazy or anything. Also, I have noticed that on my WSM, the end of the ribs that are above the top vent get much darker. I do not remember this happening with kingsford blue. It may have, but it was not as pronounced. The pictures below show the ribs I am cooking right now. They were put on @ 250 with 5 smallish chunks of Apple, and I let it creep up to 325. These pictures were taken after 32 minutes on the pit. The darker end had the vent above them for around 25 minutes, and then I switched the lid position and had the vent above the lighter end for a little over 5 minutes. I noticed even after 5 minutes the lighter end began to darken up. That quick!

Any thoughts? I know my temp has something to do with the quick color, but I do not remember this happening with KB. Any similar experiences with Stubbs? :confused:

XtSSwsql.jpg

Bv5EyD3l.jpg

I don't do K and Stubbs when on sale taint bad, but looking at the drippings in your foiled pan makes me think you were running much hotter, for just over an half a hour.
Did you have a clay saucer or sand in the pan?
OBTW ribs look fine to me:wsm:

Tim

I double foil my pan and then put another sheet over the top. There was a little bit of drippings left over from a recent cook, but not much, so I left the top layer of foil. for this cook. Thats why it looks a little dark.

yeah, the ribs look good to me, I was just hoping to see if anybody had similar experience with Stubbs. This is my third rib cook with Stubbs and they have all been like this with. My first time, I left them unwrapped for the regular 1.5-2 hrs like I did with KB, but with stubbs and pecan and they came out REALLY dark. I am adjusting my cook times now.

Last edited:

Back