Strange cook... fast though

Last night I had my strangest experience yet with the WSM. I fired it up using the Minion Method, full ring of unlit plus about 15 fully lit.

7 lb Brisket flat on the bottom grate, 2 7 lb butts on the top.

Took the longest time to get up to cooking temp, about an 1-1/2 hours, longer than usual, but with that much meat, probably not bad. The brisket was at 170 in about 5 hours! Temps in the WSM were running 240 at the top grate throughout the cook. That's higher than I usually run, but I just let the WSM find its own temp and I didn't mess with it. Didn't waver from 240 more than 5 degrees all night.

I took the Brisket off and foiled it and stuck it in the oven at 200*. Tossed a couple of racks of spares on the bottom grate in place of the brisket.

9:00 this morning (12 hours after I started) the butts were at 197! I figured that can't be right, so I checked them with my Thermapen. 197! Bones pulled right out with no effort.

I have never cooked butts that fast. I guess when they say "it's done when it's done" that works both ways, shorter cook times as well as longer cook times.

BBQ & Beer for breakfast on the 4th of July.
icon_smile.gif
Is this a great country or what??

Tom, I have had butts run from 14-22 hours. In the beginning I used water then switched to sand and now I have settled on using water. I kinda wonder if it makes a difference.
Have a great 4th-hello to my friends at work.

I wonder if the temp building up slowly in the beginning gave the internal meat temp enough momentum to crash through the "plateau".
If your cooks work like mine the next one you do will take 18hrs instead of nine. Go figure.

Back