Stove black on Genesis Silver-B firebox?

Jan N.

TVWBB Member
Hi Everyone,

The firebox on my Genesis Silver-B is white/ashy/corroded. Instead of painting it, I'm wondering about using stove black. Any thoughts on that approach? Thanks for any ideas.

I agree with Frank, try a spot on the back side and see what it does.
Oh remember to wear rubber gloves.....:rolleyes:

If stove black is anything like gun blue it will not work. The firebox is aluminum casting on a Genesis not steel and these chemicals only work on steel

Yeah, wood stoves are cast iron and the firebox is cast aluminum. But I thought a graphite and carbon polish might work to make it look pretty. As a wise man once said, "Black is Black."

Mine has the same thing. Very interested in how this turns out when you try it. Let us know and post pics.

Yeah, wood stoves are cast iron and the firebox is cast aluminum. But I thought a graphite and carbon polish might work to make it look pretty. As a wise man once said, "Black is Black."

aha! Los Bravos...1967 , that was a good year , brother! Yeah , I think the stove black will work ok...you might have to renew it now and then , but I bet it'll be better looking than that ashy white look.

After further review, it appears the stove black is not a viable option. It is water soluble and not for outdoor use. That makes sense when I think about it. I guess I'll probably paint it.

After further review, it appears the stove black is not a viable option. It is water soluble and not for outdoor use. That makes sense when I think about it. I guess I'll probably paint it.

oops ! well , there you go. now that I think about it , grandmas wood stove WAS in the house.....:p

Back