Storing a WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim R.

TVWBB Member
Apologies in advance if there is a better place for this discussion.

Long story short, I didn't use my WSM for about a month and discovered that the last time I did that I never cleaned out the water pan. This resulted in mold. I searched this forum and found some tips for cleaning and burning the WSM back to good so no problem there.

However, it made me think. When not using the WSM for awhile, should it be stored with vents open - to allow air ciculation to help keep the interior dry - or closed? I keep my WSM in my garage so there is no rain issues.

I had the same problem.

I found the best way to prevent mold is to not go that long without smoking something!
icon_biggrin.gif

My cooker stays outside all year, and I like to close the vents to keep little critters from setting up shop inside the cooker. But I'm not sure it matters one way of the other in terms of dryness inside the cooker. As long as you empty the pan and charcoal bowl and store it in your garage, you won't have a problem with moisture in the cooker.

Regards,
Chris

Sort of off topic, sort of on topic:

My WSM lives on my back patio, right up against the house. I'm in a new housing development where they stripped the few trees out before they put in the houses, so needless to say, when it's a windy day, it's a real windy day. I've had problems with the wind blowing my smoker over a couple of times, even with the cover on. Once this resulted in a big scrape in the porcelin on the lid and I have subsequently developed a bit of rust...Anyway, I've found that after I clean my WSM if I put a brick on the charcoal grate and a brick in the water pan I don't have that trouble.

k

Jimmy

After I finish a bbq I take the grates and water pan into the house and clean them. Then I leave them there til the next time. I refoil the pan and spray the grates with pam and bring them back outside the next time I ready to use them. Of course this isn't the same day I bbq. Usually it's the day after when my eyes refocus and I just stand outside there and look at the smoker and say "Boy that was fun yesterday".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony Serra:

when my eyes refocus and I just stand outside there and look at the smoker and say "Boy that was fun yesterday". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL

Once brought mine in after a rainstorm, couldnt figure out why it was so damn heavy, and left it in the garage. Lifted the top a week later and had a fur lined smoker. Took the power washer to it. It was one of the scarriest things Ive ever seen.

I've not had a problem with mold so far. At the end of a cook I open the vents and let the coals burn completely out. By that time the weber water pan is usually empty and whatever was left on the grates is pretty well cooked. I have waited as long as a week to clean them afterwards and not had any problems with mold. Of course my water pan probaly ain't as pretty as it should be due to the scrubbing required.

Hmmm..Haven't had that problem, butt, them 8 legged buggers are everywhere up here. I just burn them out
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back