Store-Brined Turkey?

J Hasselberger

TVWBB Pro
I want to do a smaller turkey for the family on Christmas. The only ones I could find at the super were 14 pounds and up ... except for this 11.4-pounder. It's the first time I've ever seen a store-brined supermarket turkey. It says it contains water and kosher salt, so I'm figuring it's just a simple brine. I'm gonna give it a whirl in a kettle. I apple cider-brined a bird for thanksgiving and it was great.

Has anyone out there cooked one of these?

Jeff

Brined Turkey by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

I haven't done one, but I'm sure it'll turn out. I'd be tempted to put a rub/seasoning on there - certainly in the cavity, along with some herbs, citrus and maybe onion and garlic.

I haven't done one, but I'm sure it'll turn out. I'd be tempted to put a rub/seasoning on there - certainly in the cavity, along with some herbs, citrus and maybe onion and garlic.
Good point. I usually add cloves, peppercorns, herbs and what-not to the brine, and those things are missing in this case. I'll gather up whatever is still alive in the herb garden and toss it into the cavity along with some orange wedges and rub.

Jeff

Back