Stokerlog Version 6

Amir:

I'm getting an exception every hour or so. Here's the text.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AmirM Software\StokerLog\telnet_input.txt' because it is being used by another process.
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Symbols.Container.InvokeMethod(Method TargetProcedure, Object[] Arguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, BindingFlags Flags)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.ObjectLateGet(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateGet(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack)
at StokerLog.StokerLog.Timer1_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e) in F:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\stoker\Stoker\Stoker\Stokerlog.vb:line 1064
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
StokerLog
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/StokerLog.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 10.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
ZedGraph
Assembly Version: 5.0.7.40149
Win32 Version: 5.0.7.40149
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/ZedGraph.DLL
AxInterop.WMPLib
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/AxInterop.WMPLib.DLL
Interop.WMPLib
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/Interop.WMPLib.DLL
System.Configuration
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, and I've got Stokerlog set to run as an administrator. Any hints what's going on? It's on a wired network.

Thanks

Mitch,
It looks to me to be a very similar error to one I was seeing with a piece of software that wrote. In my case the problem wasn't running the software without admin rights, but was rather that my anti virus and anti spyware programs were scanning the files and therefore they were locked.

I resolved this on my program by adding the file to the exclusion list of the AV software. You might try this and see if it solves your problem.

This is only a guess on my part as I have not had this issue with Stokerlog.

Hope this helps

Bob is correct. You need to change the permissions to admin.

Sorry for not having time to finalize this. Should have put up the update without the Twitter fix.

Thanks, Bob and Amir.
Bob, that sounds like the issue. I've changed the AV to exclude the whole stokerlog directory, and hopefully that will fix it. I'm doing two briskets overnight Friday for a Saturday fly-in, and it will be great if stokerlog keeps connected all night. I need to get some sleep if I'm going to be the pilot!

Amir, how do I change the permissions? I have stokerlog.exe set to run as administrator. Is there somewhere else I need to change the settings?

Oh, I missed that you already set to Admin
icon_smile.gif
. It is a strange problem then as admin issue shows up immediately. Something is locking that directory/file, not letting Stokerlog access it. Back up or anti-virus would be the issues.

I should be able to fix this soon so that it won't matter.

It appears that changing the AV settings did the trick. No more exceptions, and the briskets came out perfectly! Now the only issue left seems to be my computer. I have the power settings set to never sleep, with the monitor sleeping after 1 hour. When I got up at 2:3o am to check on things, the computer was back to the login screen, and stokerlog was closed. Weird. I started it again, and it was fine the rest of the night.

That was probably Windows installing an update and rebooting. That setting is usually some time in the middle of night.

Originally posted by Amir:
That was probably Windows installing an update and rebooting. That setting is usually some time in the middle of night.
Which is one good reason to cofigure windows to notify you of an available update but to not allow the update to happen auto-magically. Besides there are, sometimes, some optional updates that I take a pass on.

Has Twitter been fixed on the stokerlog yet? If not, is it possible to use the same fix that Rock did by going through api.supertweet.net until final solve can be found?

Need some help, I can no longer log on to Stokerlog. Been using Stokerlog with the Stoker hooked to a WRT54G router and a laptop logged directly to the WRT54G for a year. Decided to hook up to internet for all the added benefits so I installed dd-wrt on the router and turned it into a bridge. Everything works perfect except stokerlog will no longer connect. IE connects and brings up Stoker status when I input IP address just fine. When I am away at another computer I can get the status page with main router external address with :30000 port forward to 80. Tweets are also working through Supertweet. The only issue is stokerlog will not connect with stoker. I have input everything I can think of in the IP box including the :30000 and main router ext address and nothing works. I can't smoke anymore without stokerlog so please help.
icon_smile.gif
Thanks Dan

Originally posted by Curtis:
Has Twitter been fixed on the stokerlog yet? If not, is it possible to use the same fix that Rock did by going through api.supertweet.net until final solve can be found?
No, I have been too lazy to finish it
icon_smile.gif
. Sorry.

The problem with using that work-around is that it is less secure. They had no choice in the stoker itself due to lack of programming space to implement the proper functionality. In the PC, I can't hide behind that excuse.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Dan Francis:
Need some help, I can no longer log on to Stokerlog. Been using Stokerlog with the Stoker hooked to a WRT54G router and a laptop logged directly to the WRT54G for a year. Decided to hook up to internet for all the added benefits so I installed dd-wrt on the router and turned it into a bridge. Everything works perfect except stokerlog will no longer connect. IE connects and brings up Stoker status when I input IP address just fine. When I am away at another computer I can get the status page with main router external address with :30000 port forward to 80. Tweets are also working through Supertweet. The only issue is stokerlog will not connect with stoker. I have input everything I can think of in the IP box including the :30000 and main router ext address and nothing works. I can't smoke anymore without stokerlog so please help.
icon_smile.gif
Thanks Dan
I suspect port forwarding for Telnet is not working. Check the "HTTP Only" box in stokerlog. If IE works, that should work too. Response will be much slower but all the functionality should be there. Once there, then try to troubleshoot Telnet port issue.

I use twitter on the Stoker. What would the advantage be to having it in stokerlog?

I'd be inclined to say that it is not needed in stokerlog as it is available on the stoker and works in concert with stokerlog.

Originally posted by Amir:
I suspect port forwarding for Telnet is not working. Check the "HTTP Only" box in stokerlog. If IE works, that should work too. Response will be much slower but all the functionality should be there. Once there, then try to troubleshoot Telnet port issue.

Thanks Amir. I reinstalled the portforwarding settings and reset, all works perfect. Dan

As some of you know, I'm primarily a competition cook using four 18" WSMs as our competition set up. We use a Stoker all the time but never use a laptop to control or monitor when we compete.

This past weekend, we were doing some test cooks and I decided that this would be a good time to hook a router up to the Stoker and run Stokerlog (v6.7) to monitor and graph the cooks. Since test cooks are all about learning and having lots of data helps that happen, it seemed like a good idea.

Well, being able to monitor the cookers remotely was wonderful, especially since the cooks both ran overnight on Friday and Saturday. That having been said, I did encounter a couple of problems.

First, I was running three cookers, each using a fan, a pit probe and a single meat probe. Stokerlog would only show me pit probe and fan graphs from two of the three cookers and all three meat probes were showing up on the graph for the first cooker. Also, all three pit probes showed up in the window containing the first graph, which was fine. What was disappointing was not being able to see a graph for the third cookers. So, my first question is: Does Stokerlog have the ability to show more than just two cookers and is it possible to have the fan, pit and meat probes show up on each respective graph?

The second problem I had was with the Auto Lid Detection feature. I like the concept of this feature as it would save me from having to manually turn off the fans from the Stoker itself. Unfortunately, it did not work at all on either of the weekend tests. And, yes, I do have the feature enabled in Stokerlog but I think the problem lies in the settings. Does anyone who has gotten this feature to work properly on WSMs have any settings they would like to share?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Stokerlog only supports two smokers. I just don't have the hardware to test more than that. And as you can imagine, the demand is exceptionally low to do the extra coding and testing (it took a lot of effort to make it work for two).

Note that stokerlog has no way of knowing which probes go with which smoker unless you tell it. You do this in how you name the probes, by adding a special character ("*") to the name. Not sure what that will do for three smokers but on two, it should make things appear correctly. Let me know if it does not.

As to Lid Open, you are right that the standard settings may not work. I never spent the time to make this logic sophisticated enough because it was superseded by auto-recovery where you can turn stoker off and stokerlog retries until stoker comes back online and keeps going.

By examining the graph, you should be able to determine the settings that may work better. Look at the help file and it explains the two parameters.

Enhancing that logic is difficult due to the need to have lots of data with live fire as 99% of my testing is done inside without cooking anything.

Thank you for the answers, Amir. I'm happy to learn that the program only supports two cookers. That will help me to better plan my cooks and, at the very least, keep me from going crazy trying to figure out how to get that third graph to show up! Also, I realize that the vast majority of Stokerlog users are folks with a single or double cooker set up so it makes sense that your design would follow that demographic.

I don't mind having all the meat probes show up on one graph but I will test your suggestion about adding a character to the probe names and see if that pushes them to the appropriate cooker graph. I'll let you know what I discover.

I will read the help file again and examine the graphs to see if I can determine how much of a temperature drop per second I need to use in order for the lid detection functionality to work. I believe the default was 8°/sec so I'll be trying numbers lower than that on my next test cook.

If you are ever in need of some live fire beta testing for features and/or future releases, I often have a fire burning and would happy to help you out. Just let me know.

Thanks again for the info and for the program!

One bit of follow up information regarding the auto lid detection feature: I adjusted the threshold to 4°/second and the feature worked every time. I also tried 5°/second but that did not work. Again, this was on an 18" WSM.

One thing that may impact the proper setting for this feature is the temperature you are actually cooking with on any given day. In other words, a higher threshold value might work with when the cooker is running hot, say at 275°F or higher while a lower threshold value is required when the cooker is running at a lower temperature. I haven't tested this but thought it might help anyone else doing their own testing.

Another factor may be where you place your pit probes. I found with the prove in the center, below the grill, the temp drop is pretty slow compared to out nearer the edge. I don't remember what I set the threshold at, but I'm pretty sure it was 4/sec or less.

Back