Stoker on WSM: thoughts on leaving other 2 vents cracked open?

KeithG

TVWBB Fan
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I used my Stoker with my WSM for the first time last weekend and it was great! Been thinking a lot this week about what I would do differently for my upcoming smoke tonight (full packer brisket) and had a question.

Does anyone leave the other 2 bottom vents cracked or open slightly on their WSM when using the Stoker fan in the 3rd vent? Reason for asking is that it seems that under normal operation of the WSM having a small amount of air coming in would help decrease the cycling of the fan, promote a little more consistent burning of the charcoal around the ring, but would not let enough air in that it would raise temps too much so they could not come down.

Or is this adding another variable that really is not needed and just keep it simple with just using the fan?

Thanks,
Kg

In my experience, the fan doesn't need any help to maintain the cooking temperature. I keep the other two vents closed. I think that if they were even partially open, when the fan runs air will be blowing out of, rather than coming in them.

Thanks Larry. For clarification, I agree that the fan does not need any help maintaining temperature and when it does come on the air will probably blow out the other vents. I just thought that with the other vents cracked it would help minimize the number of times the fan would need to cycle to keep the temps up, which would in turn help keep a more even temp distribution since the temp will go up and down less over a period of time.

Thanks again.
Kg

The stoker's algorithyms are based on the assumption that it's a closed system. If you are providing airflow when there shouldn't be (it's too hot) you are bound to get greater temperature swings and less control.

-rob

Thanks Rob. I did not consider that. I will just leave it the way it is meant to work.

Thanks again.
Kg

I would only open the other vents if you were targeting temps in the 325+ range. When I cook at those temps, I'll crack the vents until it gets up to temp, but then the fan can handle it from there.

Thanks DJensen. I have only used it twice now and it does work well with just the fan, so I will leave it do its thing.

Pat: Thanks for that info. I may try that when I do a chicken or turkey at 325-350.

Thanks again all.
Kg

I only open my bottom vents if I am running a High temp cook. 350° or more. Other than that the lower vents stay closed.

Back