Stock thermometer fogged up....

Al Bokolor

I am a newbie and bought the WSM-22.5 last October. I used it about six times and took a break from smoking from January thru now. When I "dusted" off the WSM last weekend to start using it again, I noticed that the thermometer was fogged up and unreadable. I had it out on my patio with the Weber cover on it since January, and I live in south Texas so temps never really got too cold so I wouldn't think that cold temps caused this fogging Well, the good news is that I learned from the forums here to purchase a good smoker temp probe because the weber stock thermometer is not very good or accurate and can be off by almost 50 degrees. More good news is that I just received a Maverick ET72 thermometer as a gift and when I contacted Weber, they said they would send me a new WSM thermometer. After all this, my question to you folks here please is what caused the fogging in my thermometer in the first place??

Thanks....

Last edited:
Did you fire up the WSM since you noticed the thermo was fogged up? Mine has been fogged up a few times, but always cleared up (within minutes) during the next cook.

Did you fire up the WSM since you noticed the thermo was fogged up? Mine has been fogged up a few times, but always cleared up (within minutes) during the next cook.

Hello Chad - No, I didn't think of doing that (duh on my part!). I will give it a whirl this weekend - thanks for the tip . . .

I am not 100% on this so I am open for correction if need be: I think the thermo fogs in a moist cook when the pan is filled with liquid vs a dry cook when the pan is empty. Has anyone experienced this?

Mine fogs up when I fill the water basin and do a smoke too. It usually clears enough to read it but I use a remote thermometer and probes for the "official" score...

I had one that fogged up and it never cleared up after first smoke. Under a magnified glass it was actually smoked and not moisture and never cleared up. Weber sent me a new one and it got moisture once or twice but clears right up under the heat from next smoke...

I think they all do that for some reason. The gauges on my air compressor and pool pump all fog up first thing in the morning. My Tel-Tru does the same also, but they all clear up when the sun comes up.
The Weber one has a weep-hole which is supposed to let moisture out and so far I haven't noticed that on my 22.. yet.

Tim

Ok thanks for the info- I used a Maverick ET72 probe yesterday and it worked great. Surprisingly, both temp readings were pretty close...

Mine hasnt only fogged up its actually gotten water inside somehow. I have had it replaced 2 times from weber and its still doing it. When it dries its all brown and gunky inside. They said they havnt heard of this but I keep taking pictures showing them, and few days later I have a new one in the mail. HOpefully this one I just got does the trick. Not that I use it but its nasty looking and I keep my WSM clean on the outside filthy on the inside lol

Back