Stir Fry on Performer using a wok

Kyle in Woodstock

TVWBB Guru
Wanted to do something fun for Mother's Day so I fired up the Performer and put the charcoal baskets in the middle of my GBS grates with the center section removed.
Let the wok get really hot, coated in peanut oil then cooked some cut up steak for a couple min. Removed meat, cooked veggies. Then I put meat back in and added sauce.
Was first time trying this and it turned out great. Very easy too!
The sauce we picked wasn't that good, but it did give me confidence about trying this again in the future.

20200510_181243.jpg20200510_191241_HDR.jpg

That is the same basic process I use on my Performer. I love the feeling of setting all the items on the side table and then assembling the meal in my wok. Looks like you did an excellent job for your first try.

Great way to use a wok.

Before we bought a gas stove, I'd use my wok outside on a turkey fryer burner.

That is the same basic process I use on my Performer. I love the feeling of setting all the items on the side table and then assembling the meal in my wok. Looks like you did an excellent job for your first try.

I did read a few older posts on here and watch a couple YouTube videos. Made things very easy and fast to cook by having it all lined up on the table.

One thing I learned is that I need to cut up my broccoli a little smaller so it cooks quicker....it was slowing the process up a little.

I also made a bonehead mistake and used briquettes instead of lump. I'll use lump next time since it should get things burning a little hotter.

Great way to use a wok.

Before we bought a gas stove, I'd use my wok outside on a turkey fryer burner.

We actually received the wok as a wedding gift. Its totally round on the bottom. We do have a gas stove top burners, but the wok just doesn't fit right on there....very awkward to manage. The Weber grate with the cutout is almost perfect for this type of cooking.

I do have to use the fire ring on top of the grate on the gas stove, and even so, while it's a lot better than on an electric, it really doesn't get hot enough. Close down by a charcoal fire would be awfully nice.

Looks great, Kyle!! I think I used this configuration for the first time back in 2010, and my wok hasn't seen the stovetop since! Much better heat to get that wok super hot like it needs to be. Great looking stir fry for M-Day, and appreciate the reminder that I need to get the wok out more often (mine's a flat bottom, cast iron, HEAVY one...) :)

R

I've used a wok on the top of a charcoal chimney before. Just light the charcoal, get it going, and use the top of the chimney it as a stand for the wok without dumping the charcoal out. It keeps the heat under the center of the wok and away from the wok handle.

It's probably safer inside a grill of some sort, but you could set the chimney directly on a fireproof surface if you need to.

I've used a wok on the top of a charcoal chimney before. Just light the charcoal, get it going, and use the top of the chimney it as a stand for the wok without dumping the charcoal out. It keeps the heat under the center of the wok and away from the wok handle.

It's probably safer inside a grill of some sort, but you could set the chimney directly on a fireproof surface if you need to.
When I was getting the coals ready I had the same idea, but ended up dumping the coals into the baskets and cooking the way I described above.
I guess if you kept the chimney sitting on the lower charcoal grate that would be a little safer.... I might give that a try. It certainly would concentrate the heat a little better.

Back