Still not smoking *****

I quit back in Feb. so I guess its only been 6 months or so. Its amazing how if I'm in my back yard now and my neighbor lights one up (100' away) I go, whats that smell, and start looking around, sure enough I'll see her out there puffing away
icon_eek.gif
I did buy myself a nice little pipe though, and I probably smoke it 2-3 times a week, when the time feels right. Same as puffing on a cigar, I dont inhale, but I do like the smell/atmosphere of a good pipe. Cigarettes on the other hand, I'm very glad to not be spending the 5 bucks a day on top of 4 dollar gas!

Brandon

Yep, the smell still gets to me, but now I find the smell more nasty than I did right after quitting.

Quitting smoking is the hardest thing I have ever done, too! Hang in there Brandon (and everyone else)
Congrats again to all you quitters!

Steve

i missed this post so I guess I better jump in. My best friend was a smokin' fiend, and was only 22 when he got killed in a work accedent, he always told me "nobody likes a quitter!!!" as a joke, so now its even harder to quit for me and Im probably not any time soon, he, well, WE both like it to much. this was about a year ago. So to make up for it I hike my smokin butt a mile and a half all uphill to my fav. fishin hole every single chance I get this time of year. damn big cutthroats there and no one is ever around! anyway that and my job keep me pretty healthy. I guarantee I could keep up personally. doc's always said im healthy as a antelope and constantly rips my smokin which I hate, but oh well no one is perfect. and we won't get into the big 'smoke haters club' thing, all the bans etc. but will say that theres NO evidence, not even close, that says second hand smoke causes cancer. K done. thanks.
icon_smile.gif
-Dan the smoker who likes it very much.

edit: I read slow but took the time to read all of the posts... NOT ONE SMOKER! but a question that came to mind was you were all smoking at 24 years old werent you? and then quit later, right?. .....darn we gotta get some of you started again.
icon_smile.gif
!

dan, check back with us in another twenty years. i saw enough of my customers suffer from their smoking to have to really laugh at you at the same time as i really feel sorry for you cuz i've seen what yer headed for. good luck.

thats what i mean, im sure everyone was young and then quit older, it seems by reading. you can laugh all you want, i am.

Dan,

Yeah, most of us were probably 24 and smoking, hell, I was 15 or 16 when I started and quit when I was 27 or 28. I was starting to feel like crap and it scared me into quiting. I was a swim team swimmer in my early teens and was pretty good and after all those years of smoking, years and years of swimming never got my breath back anywhere close to where it was. NOT EVEN CLOSE! Now, if you want to keep on smoking 'till when ever, of course, that's your choice, but, please don't come in here and trash a thread where people are trying to help each other out. Please?

Bill

? def. didn't mean to 'trash' the disscussion. I just thought it was open to smoking. I just told my end of my best bud being connected to smoking and liking it and had good times w/ him, and thats why its gonna be more difficult for me to quit. Every time I light up I think of him. I don't think thats as FUNNY as some I guess, for some strange reason, ((it is an addiction) but like you all at some point, I still enjoy it and am not ready at this point for quitting. also pointed out a fact I didn't think most non-smokers new about but it very true. I to want to quit sometime and was just joining up, but admit im probably less tense about the seriousness just cause thats how I am, and appologize, to you Bill. i'll leave the disscusion alone.

Originally posted by Dan H.:
... I to want to quit sometime and was just joining up, but admit im probably less tense about the seriousness just cause thats how I am ...
Well, that's not the way it sounded when you said, ".....darn we gotta get some of you started again.
icon_smile.gif
".

Anyway, you're right and you have the right to join in this smoking thread as much as anyone else does. Sorry I opened my big fat mouth...

Bill

i started when i was about 12. but that would be about a pack a year. mostly when i was cold after spearfishing. really got into it when in high school and then into tech school. i quit when i was 19. not old at all. just saw it as bad. besides the cost of a pack went up to around 0.50 . that was alot then.

well "get some of you started again" is my big fat mouth. I realize now thats prob. not funny to x-smokers, who are craving nicotinne as we speak. (bad joke again). alright have a good one. thats it for me.
icon_smile.gif

Quit on easter sunday 2004. Was wanting to quit for years, but never got around to it. One long night of drinking and smoking, and fortuitously running out before going to bed, caused me to wake up and think, "today is a good day to quit." And I did. Wow. Very nervous was panicking that I couldn't do it so I went and bought nicorrette gum. Used that for a coupla days more for my panicking then nicotine addiction. After about a week, ditched it, and just took it week by week.

One time two years ago, I took a puff of cuban for my buddie's bachelor party. After just one puff I felt the nicotine immediately so I gave the cigar away. Haven't had a cig though since 2004. Sometimes I have a tiny tiny crave when I'm drinking and am out, but not enough to even seriously entertain the idea of lighting up.

Jarrod S. - the site you linked (link doesn't work anymore) www.whyquit.org helped me quite a bit. I quit early February cold turkey. It's nearly 17 weeks for me... 17 years smoking, most of the time a two-pack-a-day habit.

George, I wish you weren't right about the craves not going away... but you know what they say: once an addict, always an addict. Sucks... this ties into another painful cliche' - ignorance is bliss.

But not smoking is GREAT! The $$ savings isn't much of a motivator, but it's a good thing too. My health has improved so much. I hope I can take Joel's advice (from www.whyquit.org) & "NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF".

Clint - Keep hanging in there - Yes the craves never seem to go away but the temptation wanes with time and pride and accomplishment overcome the urge. I quit Just over a year and two months ago after 55 years of two packs a day. Good for you. Bob

Congrats to all those who have quit and stayed quit, it is a hard thing to do, like everyone I have quit time and time again, I finally quit on Dec 8, 2008, it's been almost 6 months. I had been smoking for about 20 years, I am now 36. My biggest hurdle is when I am having a few beers, but I am able to get through it, another big hurdle will be at the comps this summer, you know, there's not too much to do other than socialize, drink beer and have a good time, I am pretty confident that I can get through it though, my craving have been kept to a minimum. Anyway, good luck to all to stay quit and those who are trying to quit.

For 21 years I was a two pack a day smoker. Got a prescription for Chantix from my doctor. Last smoke was September 22 2008. It was a breeze with the Chantix.

I quit 8 years ago after smoking for more years than I care to remember. I took Zyban which I guess must be something like Chantix and that really helped. It made it quite easy to quit. I have no cravings whatsoever. The stupid thing is that I had once quit for 2 years and I was out somewhere and decided that "just 1" wouldn't hurt. Took 30 years for me to quit again. Cigarettes are now $8 a pack where I live in Canada.

Cold turkey was a hell of a lot easier than the NRT. I don't know much about Chantix other than I wanted some around 1.5 yrs ago.

What happened for me was I just threw my pack on the dash to see how long I could go. nearly 17 weeks later I never picked 'em up. I threw away all of my ash trays, half a carton, basically any smoking accessories, about 3-5 days after that when I knew I could handle it.

People are so afraid to quit that they never try again but IMO, the fact of the matter is it's easy if you're ready.

And for those of you who are ready to quit but don't know how - I have the secret to not smoking, the secret of how to quit. It's a simple truth and you may laugh at it at first.

Are you ready for it?

The

Secret

To

Not

Smoking

is

NOT TO SMOKE!

That simple. It's easy if you want to quit. Try it. See how long you can go.

Congrats,everyone! Both of my parents smoked,so no big surprise when I lit up for the first time at age 11. Wasn't but a few years later that I was doing a pack a day,a habit I had until I was 34, 13 years ago. I spent a week with my 92 year old grandmother,who was actually healthier than I was! She still drove,worked out and sure didn't act like she was in her 90's! I left her place and decided that I was NOT going to live to my 90's(or 70's) if I kept that happy crappy up. So I quit cold turkey in 1996,and have been tobacco free since then. My wife said she would never have gone out with me if I still smoked,so life is good. Plus I got a new smoking addiction.
icon_biggrin.gif
One that everyone loves!

started when I was 11 got t 3 1/2 packs a day tryed to quit 100,s of time longest ever made it was one day without a smoke and yes when I was in my twentys I thought tis smoking ain,t harming me none well got into those forty,s ouch that when the slowdown came WOW some folks I know were trying chantix so I thought why not took my first pill on a monday that sunday smoked my last cig (damn that one tatsed good )
that was feb 2007 over two yrs haven,t had one puff since trust me one sounds good every once in a while (jack&coke + cig oh yah )still do the jack & coke thing no smoke only took chantix for three weeks not saying it was easy the first 2 2/3 days were a mother &%$#@ but hell yes it s worth every withdrawell fell great can breath great smell great food taste alot diiferent in a good way .

I hope anyone who wants to quit finds the whatever it is that works for ya keep trying .

when I quit cigs were 5 a pack there now 7 a pack 3 1/2 packs a day roughly 185 a week 740 a month 9000 a year nice car damn near my house payment

P.S smoked for 34 yrs ouch

Back