Steak Night - first outdoor cook in a while

John K BBQ

TVWBB Wizard
Well, I finally did it. I out waited my better half. She finally requested steak night! I got a couple of strips, and a ribeye and went crazy. Steaks were all about an inch think. I decided to take the spinalis off the ribeye steak and remove the hard chunk of fat between the spinalis and the center then tie it back together.

Here's the ribeye after I trimmed the fat out of it - before I tied it back together

Trimmed.jpg

Here's all the meat, ribeye tied back together plus the two strip steaks read for the grill

Ready.jpg

Here's the weber summit e6 with a chimney full of briqs just about ready for go time. I love cooking over charcoal!

Fire.jpg

Here, the steaks are "getting happy". I took them out of the fridge about 30 minutes before searing, then did about 3 minute a side, and about 5 minutes or so on the indirect side after searing.

Steaks On.jpg

Here we are, all finished. The ribeye was mine, and pretty darn good. The trim job really helped cut down on the flare ups. The trimming wasn't all that difficult and results were great, may be doing more Ribeye's in 2022!

Finished.jpg

Nice. I have been considering doing that on ribeye myself. At Costco, when buying prime grade. They only sell the "eye" of the ribeye as ribeye and than they sell the "cap" separately. They are very nice but I don't buy "cut" steak from Costco anymore. I don't like that they jacquard them. If I want that done to my steak I will do it myself. I don't want/need them making that decision for me.
But nice work. We had steak night last night as well. My home cut 1.5" prime NY Strip. Excellent. Done on my Q320

Well, I finally did it. I out waited my better half. She finally requested steak night! I got a couple of strips, and a ribeye and went crazy. Steaks were all about an inch think. I decided to take the spinalis off the ribeye steak and remove the hard chunk of fat between the spinalis and the center then tie it back together.

Here's the ribeye after I trimmed the fat out of it - before I tied it back together

View attachment 44509

Here's all the meat, ribeye tied back together plus the two strip steaks read for the grill

View attachment 44510

Here's the weber summit e6 with a chimney full of briqs just about ready for go time. I love cooking over charcoal!

View attachment 44511

Here, the steaks are "getting happy". I took them out of the fridge about 30 minutes before searing, then did about 3 minute a side, and about 5 minutes or so on the indirect side after searing.

View attachment 44512

Here we are, all finished. The ribeye was mine, and pretty darn good. The trim job really helped cut down on the flare ups. The trimming wasn't all that difficult and results were great, may be doing more Ribeye's in 2022!

View attachment 44513

Nice work. My two favorite steaks. I think I actually like a great strip better:unsure:. But it depends on the individual steak. Those all look incredible.

John,
Amazing steak night! If I had to wait for my wife, I would never get steak as she doesn't eat it. How are you enjoying the new grill? I know you were underwhelmed by the PK, I hope this one is a much better fit. Just took out a Tri Tip from the freezer for Thursday night dinner with a family member as a guest.

John,
Amazing steak night! If I had to wait for my wife, I would never get steak as she doesn't eat it. How are you enjoying the new grill? I know you were underwhelmed by the PK, I hope this one is a much better fit. Just took out a Tri Tip from the freezer for Thursday night dinner with a family member as a guest.
Hi Mike - I am really enjoying the Weber E6. After this last cook, I can say with confidence, based on my own experience that the E6 is WAY BETTER than the PK360 in just about every category. It took me a few tries to really nail down my steak technique on the E6, but now I'm firing on all cylinders.

The PK360 is great for searing steaks and burgers and smoking small cuts of meat, for relatively short cooks (about 6 or 7 hours on a hot day without reloading). I found it to be OK at temperature control, but not really "awesome". The PK is easy to break down take along on a trip if you want to. That's the one trick it has that most people wouldn't try with the E6. It's funny to bring up in this context, but PK undersized the casters on the PK360, which made it a pain to move across my stamped concrete patio. Moving the E6 around on my patio is a lot easier even tho it's twice as big.

The E6 does everything the PK360 does, but bigger and better. It's a more expensive cooker, but only about 20 tp 25% more for a much more capable cooker (comparing the base E6 to the PK360, not the high end E6). I think a 14 hour cook time would be very achievable on the E6, and whole packer briskets are not a problem. Much more grill surface area to work with as well. E6 also wins hands down on ash removal and ease of maintenance.

For anyone thinking about buying the PK360 - unless you need portability, save up a few hundred more bucks and get the E6, or buy a Weber performer and save a few hundred bucks.

Yep, but if you look closely Costco blade tenderizes all their cut steaks. So I don't buy them because I don't want that done to my beef (or any protein) unless I do it. So I only buy whole cuts of beef at Costco. When I want an actual "cut" steak I'll hit Sam's or local shop

Costco has blade tenderized for many years. I'm still a fan of their meat regardless. But I do frequent Sams as well and sometimes Restaurant Depot. Our Sams is back to back with our Costco. We're members of both.

Costco has blade tenderized for many years. I'm still a fan of their meat regardless. But I do frequent Sams as well and sometimes Restaurant Depot. Our Sams is back to back with our Costco. We're members of both.
Like I said. When and only when I want it that way than I will do it with my own machine I have. I don't like that choice being made for me. I'm still a fan of Costco meat, just I don't buy stuff already cut. I buy the whole thing and do it myself

Looks great, John. I like that trim job. I've gotten away from ribeyes of late because they're too fatty - I need to try this trick.

Back