starting fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

f.j. tedford

TVWBB Fan
I need to eliminate the danger of burning newspaper ashes and try to control the smoke when using the Weber starter chimney. I saw here or on another forum some folks were buying some camping fuel bars or discs to place under the bottom and ignite the coals. Anyone remember what those were? Sterno, fuel bars for a fold-up stove??

I have never attempted this but I wondered if anyone has invested in a small bag of the Kingsford Match Light charcoal and put about 4 of those in the bottom of the chimney then fill with regular charcoal and light with a match. Do you think a small amount like that would impart a taste?

John

If you have a propane burner, such as those often found on the side of gas grills, it will start the chimney quickly and without a mess.

I've had good luck with the Weber firestarters. They are very easy to light, and completely burn up, without leaving a residue to see or taste.
I think that they are mostly wax or parafin.

Richard C.
Thanks for the tip. I do have a side burner(that I never use) on a gasser setting right next to my WSM. That a great idea thanks again.

John

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John F Ford:
[qb]I have never attempted this but I wondered if anyone has invested in a small bag of the Kingsford Match Light charcoal and put about 4 of those in the bottom of the chimney then fill with regular charcoal and light with a match. Do you think a small amount like that would impart a taste?

John[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes I know one hguy who does this for his grill. But I would not go there because the charcoal is impregnated with charcoal lighter fluid and that is just a big no no for flavor. Some folks may do it and get away with it but the top cooks I know would not be caught dead doing it.

Weber makes fire starter cubes, Safeways stocks a stick version of the same thing which I've seen teams use and there is always the long lasting much smaller than a bag of match light chaffing dish heater.

Make a big enough hole near the bottom to get one of those propane torches in there and torch dat sucker!

Hehe-- neighbors call the fire department? Well, mine didn't, but they came running like they thought the house was on fire.

I've tried the starter sticks or cubes, and they work fine, but don't give as even a start and I thought they smoked even worse (and longer) than newspaper.

The side burner idea souinds interesting, anyways.

Clark

I've quit using newspaper all together and now use my turkey cooker burner to start the charcoal. About two or three minutes of that and we are off and running. Just have too be over a non-flammable surface as a few small lit pieces can fall out and cause some trouble.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back