Starting An Overnight Butt

CLasko

TVWBB Pro
Hey there all. Been a little while. Chicago winter + grad school + full time job + kids = Busy Haha.

Brother is coming to town tomorrow so was going to just do ribs tomorrow, but then saw a pork butt at Walmart, so I got that too. Didn't notice until I got home that it was enhanced with 4%. So I figured I wouldn't inject it, and just rub it and throw it on the smoker. See what happens. At least I have my ribs down, so those will work out tomorrow anyway.

I'm also trying no water, and a foiled clay saucer in water pan. So a night of firsts! A bit windy too.

Trying out a new rub...

image by clasko2596, on Flickr

My 22...

Rubbed butt waiting to go on...

Fingers crossed!

Haha...will do Tony. Smoker seems to have settled at about 265 at grate. Reading about 230 at dome. Seems to be ok considering it's 35 and windy. Won't fight it, and will just ride it out and see what happens!

Alrighty...10.5 hours later. Pit temp was down to 225, pork temp at 172 (has been in 160-170 range for several hours). Decided to peek finally, since it was the longest I've ver gone without lifting the lid!

Looking pretty darn good I think...

My boy Copper watching over...

Kicked off some ash and threw another bunch of coals on there.

Looks awesome CLasko , I could go for a pulled pork Sammy with slaw on top , and some North Carolina Lexington style vinegar sauce , Mmm .

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff! And in case anyone is wondering about the Miller Fortune in the background...my older brother works for Miller-Coors. Free beer is free beer. Haha.

food looks great. i have a question since im still new to smoking, you said the pork was enhanced with 4%. what does that mean???

food looks great. i have a question since im still new to smoking, you said the pork was enhanced with 4%. what does that mean???

Hey Evan, it basically means the meat processor injected it with a water and salt solution. They'll say it's to enhance moisture, bbq purists will say it's to increase weight to charge more. Anyway, if they inject or enhance it, and then if you were to inject the butt with more liquid (and more importantly) and more salt, the butt could turn out incredibly salty. Since this one was enhanced already, I just put a light rub on it, so it wouldn't end up too salty.

Enrico....nope, nothing in the water pan. I tried foiling a 16" clay saucer and put that in the water bowl...mainly because of clean-up. But I really liked how it worked and clean-up was a breeze.

Back