Starter problems!!!!

What have you tried that isn't working? Occasionally, but not often I have to add a wad or two of paper under the chimney after the initial paper burns out to get it hot enough to get the charcoal going.

Edit: Also, check out this link.

If you use newspaper, try loosely rolling the newspaper into a "rope" and forming that into a doughnut. The hole in the middle lets the flames from the paper go up the center, into the charcoal, instead of spilling out the sides of the chimney.

Hey Eric,

That's what I do. I loosley put two or three lightly rolled up pieces of paper towel on the bottom of the chimney starter. Roll it so it follows the contours of the edge of the starter. Again make sure it is lightly rolled so it will catch. make sure the starter has enough room in the middle to get air. It should start right up for you. Then give it time to catch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Take a paper towel or two, and put some vegi oil on it. That works great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll do this when the humidity is high and little/no wind (the only time I have issues.) Two pieces of crumpled newspaper on the bottom, paper towel on top then I put the chimney on top of that. I pour a little veg oil onto the paper towel, let it sit a minute, then light.

explain.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik Snyder:
Any advice? I have a chimney start. I'm just having problems getting it going. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I have my gasser uncovered; I frequently use the side gas burner to start mine... I just set the chimney over the lit burner on high for a minute or two and the coals catch.. then i turn off the burner, move the chimney to the gasser's grate.... gotta use the gasser for something LOL

I bought the weber paraffin cubes and they work wonders. It was something like 20 cubes for $5 and I only use 1 cube per cook!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sam Un:
I bought the weber paraffin cubes and they work wonders. It was something like 20 cubes for $5 and I only use 1 cube per cook! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree the Weber starter cubes are the catz azz, but a Fin for a couple of dozen is a bit more than what I see... More like a 3 spot!!

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik Snyder:
I had been rolling up newspaper like recommended, but that wasn't working. I have been trying paper towels. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Both should work. By any chance was your charcoal wet? I've been using the Weber starters, but when I used newspaper, all I needed were 2 or 3 pieces crumbled up and not too tightly. Just curious, were the newpaper and paper towels flaming or just smoldering?

Never under estimate the power of a torch!
icon_wink.gif

If you have one, there is no other choice. I have a trigger start on mine, so I hold up the chimney, squeeze the torch trigger, and in about 15 seconds I have enough of the edges caught. Set the chimney down on the grate, go back in the house to fetch your meat and deal with any of the final getting ready like getting your start weight, and in 15 minutes you should have a good set of hot coals.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Take a paper towel or two, and put some vegi oil on it. That works great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what I do EVERYTIME now - it always works. Newspaper is pretty hit-or-miss with me. I live in Houston with high humidity.......go with the paper towels!

Erik,I was trying to start my chimney in a drizzle the other day while camping. I Had to use a fire starter stick from the camping box. It's just compressed wood chips. Lit even damp newspaper in the drizzle. It's in most department store camping sections. HTH

Back