Started on Monday's dinner a little early!

DBWallis

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm making burgers for dinner Monday, so naturally I needed to start preparing on Sunday!

These will be gourmet burgers with Gruyere cheese, Carolina Reaper cheese spread, and bacon/onion jam.

The cheese spread came from a co-worker who grows the pepper. Those fellas are bloody hot!

Today's project was preparing the bacon jam.

I started by chopping and browning a pound of applewood smoked bacon, followed by about 4 pounds of sweet onions, 2 poblano peppers, and about 1/2 a head of garlic (that's a 10" skillet!):

289B2A34-1317-4B82-8278-6408CC67BEFA.jpg

After cooking down for about an hour, I added tomato paste, cider vinegar, salt, pepper, brown sugar and espresso grounds, then let that simmer for another hour. Then I pulsed it in the food processor to smooth it out a little, then back into the pan to cook down for another 15 minutes:

5A9AF693-0A81-4A8B-8151-D95E9FEC9D17.jpg

This is an awesome technique for getting 5+ pounds of food into a Tupperware lunch container ;)

539CB1A4-972A-4899-AB93-325B2E810925.jpg

I can't believe the depth of flavor in this jam... it's smoky and bacony, the onion really adds a layer of flavor, and the espresso adds a little punch that's subtle enough that it would be tough to identify it if I didn't know it was in there. It's not too sweet... this should be awesome on a burger!

WOW!! That's very interesting and like Rich said how did you come up with this recipe? Will you share it with the rest of us, please!

WOW!! That's very interesting and like Rich said how did you come up with this recipe? Will you share it with the rest of us, please!

I added a link to the recipe above. Enjoy!

BTW, I'm happy to share any recipes that I post about here, just ask!

Me: we're not going to run out of this any time soon!

Wife: why don't you put some on your steak tonight?

Me: this why I love you!

Let's hope there's some left for dinner.......

There's a pound of bacon and 4 pounds of onions in that little plastic container... I would bet good money that even a competitive eater would have a tough time finding the bottom in one sitting!

I'll post burger pics tonight :)

Back