Start-up help

Dave Ables

So the WSM arrives this weekend. I'm not too worried about assembly, but how do I season it, do I cook something while seasoning? Do I eat it afterwards or do I need to throw it away? Thanks for all the help. I was looking for a link on the site for this topic but didn't see one

Dave,

Assemble, cook, and eat.... then sit back and reflect on what a wonderful journey is in front of you because you will definitely be "hooked".

Ray

There is no need to season, but I do know a few people (including myself) that have run a no food 1st burn just to play with it.

Yeah, I sprayed mine done with Pam, grates and body, ran it with charcoal and pecan with no meat. Kind of like a test run.

There is absolutely no need to season a WSM. It is coated in porcelain so you can start cooking on it as soon as you put it together.

Get that thing assembled, fire it up, put some meat in it and get those grates dirty!

Season the WSM with some sort of meat, season yourself with some sort of beverage, and then eat the meat and repeat. It is a wonderful cycle.

Back