Standing rib roast to large

Randy Morris

I have a 18.5 # roast that won't fit on the WSM. Has any one tried halving the roast or should I just remove one bone to make it fit? This is my first rib roast on the WSM. Trying Chris's recipe as the picture has been driving me crazy to taste it.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone!

Randy Morris

Halve it. Cooking will be more uniform between the two. Switch positions of the halves, once, a bit more than half way through the cook.

Hey, Randy.

If it were me, I'd make two roasts out of it. Don't know if your whole crowd likes it cooked all to the same doneness or not, but two roasts would give you some flexibility there. Another beneft is twice the nice, crusty ends!!!
icon_smile.gif

Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Switch positions of the halves, once, a bit more than half way through the cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, I'm curious, would you recommend Randy split the halves between the lower and upper grates or do them both on the top grate? I'd be inclined take this approach as the roasts will be centered vs. the outsides of each roast being exposed to the hotter rising heat. Interested in your thought though.

Have the same issue, slightly different question - if I split a roast into two, would it take 20 min / lb (or there about) times 9 lbs or 18 lbs? I'm sure I should know the answer to that (and I'd assume 9 lbs), but want to be certain.

Good question, Larry--my oversight. Yes, split the halves between the top and lower, switching positions when into the cook, for precisely the reason you note.

Of course, if something was already planned for the lower grate this woouldn't be possible. In that case I'd put them both on top and then switch their positions on the top grate when into the cook.

Colbert-- 9 lbs, as you suspect I'm sure.

Back