Standing Rib Roast - Montreal Steak Rub

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
Been wanting to do a standing rib roast for a while. Thought the LOST season premier was as good an excuse as any... Our guests were unavoidably late (last minute "closing on a house" issues) so my roast rested for about 30 minutes more than I wanted.

Rubbed and ready (Standing Rib Roast - Montreal Steak Rub).

IMG_2598.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

Used a wooden shim to crack the lid to get temps up. Worked great...very easy temp control.

IMG_2600.jpg

Off to rest.

IMG_2601.jpg

Twice baked potatoes.

IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

Sliced...a little overcooked. I pulled it at 125 degrees so I guess the temp increase during the rest went well past the expected 10 since it rested a lot longer than I wanted.

IMG_2603.jpg

Plated.

IMG_2605.jpg

Al in all a very good meal and really easy cook.

Nice lookin' prime. Did a 2 boner on Sunday myself. Can't beat the prime rib on the WSM. Your twice baked looked great too. Love to do those on the grill. Fan of using wasabi in the spuds.

Dan

Hey Don - I read your whole post and think you sounded like you were being a little too harsh with yourself until you got to the last sentence. That was a very good looking cook my friend and I would have loved having an invitation to that meal. Very nice looking pics. I'm sure your guests were very pleased. Bob B

Moosehead beer is made just down the road from me.They have tours that last for 15 mins then you get to sample as many as you can for the rest of the time 2 hrs.The roast looks good too.

Great idea with the wood shim. I've been propping the door with a ball of foil. I'll try this next time.

What did you season the roast with? Looks like more than salt and pepper.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cutchen:
Great idea with the wood shim. I've been propping the door with a ball of foil. I'll try this next time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I used to prop the door before this cook...no longer. I couldn't get the temps up where I wanted them with the door propped so I stuck a stick under the lid but it got too hot. I just happened to have a shim laying on my work bench and thought I'd try it. It worked great...push it in further for more air flow, pull it out for less. It was very easy to dial in high heat temps this way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What did you season the roast with? Looks like more than salt and pepper. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I used this recipe. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribroast2.html

Great looking meal Don. I'm dying to do a prime rib on my WSM.

About the plated picture...did your guests wonder what the heck you were doing taking a picture?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:
What did you season the roast with? Looks like more than salt and pepper.

I used this recipe. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribroast2.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DUH! I guess I could have paid more attention to the title of the thread...
icon_smile.gif

Another great looking meal.
I also like the lid prop idea.
What was your lid temp for the cook? You got a great crust on that meat!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G Dechaine:
About the plated picture...did your guests wonder what the heck you were doing taking a picture? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Haha! No, they are very good friends and well aware of my addiction. They quit teasing me long ago about taking pictures of the food.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by michele p:
What was your lid temp for the cook? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was using the Maverick so I was measuring grate temps and kept it between 330-340 most of the cook (after trying the shim). I think the lid thermometer was between 350-400 but I didn't pay too much attention to it.

Back