standing rib roast after 11 days of refrigerator drying

This was a costco USDA choice 7 bone standing rib roast that I bought before the $5.97 sale. The original plan was to smoke this for Christmas Eve, yet due to some unforseen family medical issues, that didn't happen.

On Dec 16th I cut the roast in half. The second cut or large end was cut into six steaks and a nice meaty four bone slab, vac sealed and in the deep freeze.

20231216_135241.jpg

The three bone small end / first cut was wrapped in three layers of cheese cloth, sprinkled with kosher salt, put in a rack in a pan and out to the garage fridge that runs about 35F.

On day 3 after reading some notes from a well renowned chef I painted a few tablespoons of soy sauce on the cheese cloth. This is what it looked like after 11 days.

20231227_101843.jpg

trussed, and seasoned with kosher salt, coarse pepper and granulated garlic.

20231228_115303.jpg

BGE with JD XL and a handful of pecan and a handful of cherry on the lit coal. Smoke was heavy for about 10 mins then cleaned up.

20231227_112319.jpg

temp at the dome was about 220 and climbing slowly. I was aiming for 275 dome / 300 grate.

20231227_112501.jpg

I put some probes in. The first one was reading hot and I repositioned it. The third probe was not in use and was my outside ambient temp. Not a bad day for late January. ( oops Late December )

20231227_130803.jpg

A couple of hours of counter resting tented, then 8 mins in the electric oven at 500F to crispen it up.

20231227_191415.jpg

Last edited:
This was a costco USDA choice 7 bone standing rib roast that I bought before the $5.97 sale. The original plan was to smoke this for Christmas Eve, yet due to some unforseen family medical issues, that didn't happen.

On Dec 16th I cut the roast in half. The second cut or large end was cut into six steaks and a nice meaty four bone slab, vac sealed and in the deep freeze.

View attachment 84434

The three bone small end / first cut was wrapped in three layers of cheese cloth, sprinkled with kosher salt, put in a rack in a pan and out to the garage fridge that runs about 35F.

On day 3 after reading some notes from a well renowned chef I painted a few tablespoons of soy sauce on the cheese cloth. This is what it looked like after 11 days.

View attachment 84435

trussed, and seasoned with kosher salt, coarse pepper and granulated garlic.

View attachment 84436

BGE with JD XL and a handful of pecan and a handful of cherry on the lit coal. Smoke was heavy for about 10 mins then cleaned up.

View attachment 84437

temp at the dome was about 220 and climbing slowly. I was aiming for 275 dome / 300 grate.

View attachment 84438

I put some probes in. The first one was reading hot and I repositioned it. The third probe was not in use and was my outside ambient temp. Not a bad day for late January.

View attachment 84439

A couple of hours of counter resting tented, then 8 mins in the electric oven at 500F to crispen it up.

View attachment 84440
Looks great Dan!

Hope the medical issue was resolved.

Looks amazing, Dan. Did you trim any after that dry aging or just let 'er rip?

Back