Standing Prime Rib Roast

Wesley M

I'm planning on repeating last year's excellent Prime Rib Christmas dinner following this site's Montreal Steak Rub recipe http://virtualweberbullet.com/ribroast2.html with a few adjustments I need some help with.

Size: for this year's guest list of a dozen adults, I've ordered a full 7-rib roast. Now I'm concerned that the roast will fit on my 18.5" WSM. If it doesn't fit, what's the best approach. Do I trim off a rib as suggested in the 'Salt & Pepper' roast instructions on this site... or would it be best to cut the roast between ribs 3 and 4 to make two roughly equal sized roasts and cook accordingly?

Temp/Time: Although most of the recipes on this site call for a hot fire (325-350 F) and 13-18 min per lb., I'm leaning toward a lower temp (250 F) for more even cooking. What is the recommended time for a lower temp 250F cook? And does the cooking time change if cooking a 3-rib roast or a 7-rib roast?

Thanks!

cook time for PR is determined by the thickness of the loin, not it's weight. A 4bone roast that is 5 inches thick will take the same amount of time to cook as a 7bone roast that is also 5 inches thick. the exception to this is if the width or length of the PR is shorter than it's thickness, i.e. a little 2 bone roast. A more accurate statement would be that cook time is determined by the shortest side, be it the length, width or thickness.

A "normal" sized PR will take about 4 or so hours at 225 - 250ish.

I would cut it in half. More surface for seasoning. Not sure about time per pound. I suggest 275-300 until the internal temp in the very middle is 115-120 then take it off to rest for 10 minutes(temp should rise 5-10 degrees) while stoking/replenishing your coals and then sear it about 2 mins per side on all sides to get a good crust and bring the temp up to medium rare. This is my same plan for two beef tenderloins. Good luck.

A more accurate statement would be that cook time is determined by the shortest side, be it the length, width or thickness.

Got it... this makes perfect sense.

I would cut it in half.

Agree... I'll cut the 7-rib roast in half and smoke on the upper and lower WSM racks.

Some great ideas to enhance the Montreal rub recipe. This year I'm definitely going to cook low-and-slow with reverse sear.
Since the oven will be busy cooking casseroles and sides, I'm planning to use the gasser to do the final sear.

Do you all smoke the roast with bones intact, or do you remove the bones?

I imagine removing the bones and tying the roast into a compact shape promotes even cooking. Can save the bones and do a separate cook later with them.

Do you all smoke the roast with bones intact, or do you remove the bones?

I imagine removing the bones and tying the roast into a compact shape promotes even cooking. Can save the bones and do a separate cook later with them.

I remove the bones as they inhibit smoke penetration along the bottom of the roast as well as prevent bark formation. They really don't provide any more flavor. About the only real reason to think about leaving them on is to act as a heat barrier.

If you keep your chamber temp under 250ish and have a heat deflector so that you are truly cooking "indirectly", the PR will cook evenly without having to bother with tying it up. You'll get a nice, consistent edge to edge color.

Really appreciate the advise -- the PR roast came out great. Sorry don't have pics (I know... didn't happen if...).

A "normal" sized PR will take about 4 or so hours at 225 - 250ish.
Perfect advise, cooking between 225 and 250 it took exactly four hours to reach 120F.
The roast was cooked very even through and through and didn't have the over-done edges that occur with high temp cooking.

Am a major convert to low-and-slow with reverse sear for PR!

Really appreciate the advise -- the PR roast came out great. Sorry don't have pics (I know... didn't happen if...).

Perfect advise, cooking between 225 and 250 it took exactly four hours to reach 120F.
The roast was cooked very even through and through and didn't have the over-done edges that occur with high temp cooking.

Am a major convert to low-and-slow with reverse sear for PR!

Glad everything came out right for you!! L/S with the reverse sear is definitely the way to go.

Back