Stainless Steel Sanding

My oldest battery powered tool is my 18v Ryobi drill that I'm positive is well over ten years old. It still works great and I have definitely abused it by using wire wheels in it to clean grill parts. I have purchased many Ryobi tools over the years and like them for the most part. They aren't the best, but not the worst either. The newest one I bought was a leaf blower because my wife could never start the gas one I had prior to it and that's her contribution to our lawn care for some reason. Anyway, it works great but does run down a 4ah battery in about ten minutes. I'm still not ready to trust a lawnmower that runs on battery yet, I just don't think I would get the run time that I need to finish my yard on one charge.

Well I tried the Orbital Sander on the bottom side as a test.
Started with 120 then did like 240 and then 600 or something.

Here’s the before and after.
It definitely “worked” but I can see how it’s not so pleasant.

I’m gonna get my hands on a sanding block and see if it can give it the “grain back” like some of you were suggesting.

So maybe I’ll just try the block itself on the top first before trying the Orbital Sander now that I know what that looks like, but either way, at least now I know it will technically remove the temper.

IMG_0315.jpeg
IMG_0317.jpeg

I finally got around to getting my hands on some sanding blocks. They actually worked really well, all things considered. I’m not trying to go the extra mile for perfection here although I’m sure I could get it even better if I kept going.

IMG_0772.jpeg

Using any rotating "tool" on a power drill is crazy hard. Better off to get the cheap angle grinder and then put the buffer on that

After sanding and sanding with an orbital sander, I polished mine with an auto orbital polisher. Not saying that's the best way, but it worked out OK.

Back