Stainless Steel Sanding

John-NY

TVWBB Pro
I’m not dead set on taking the time and effort to do this, but if I wanted to remove the burn marks on this side-burner lid using the simplest method possible, would a random orbital sander do the trick?

I know everyone always says to sand “with the grain” on Stainless, but I’m not going to manually take the time to do that for this whole piece.

What would be the result of using a random orbital sander?
Or what other “quick” options do I have available to take advantage of?

IMG_0195.jpeg

I’m not dead set on taking the time and effort to do this, but if I wanted to remove the burn marks on this side-burner lid using the simplest method possible, would a random orbital sander do the trick?

I know everyone always says to sand “with the grain” on Stainless, but I’m not going to manually take the time to do that for this whole piece.

What would be the result of using a random orbital sander?
Or what other “quick” options do I have available to take advantage of?

View attachment 77368
Hi John, look at the underside of the cover. If it’s discolored with the same pattern you won’t be able to sand it away.

If it’s just on the surface I would try 0000 steel wool with the grain before using a sander

I would take a shot with a Brillo pad. Seems to remove stuff like that on my stainless steel pots. It does leave microscratches, folks, so don't necessarily try it on your shiny brand new AllClad stockpot.

Hi John, look at the underside of the cover. If it’s discolored with the same pattern you won’t be able to sand it away.

If it’s just on the surface I would try 0000 steel wool with the grain before using a sander
Not looking good for me lol

Here’s the underside. Thanks for helping me not waste my time!

IMG_0198.jpeg

Honestly I don't think it would be a waste of time to try wet sanding it with some 400 grit. Maybe even use a little Windex or Ammonia for the liquid rather than water. Might not take it all off but might improve things a lot

We bought a stainless steel sink about 30 years ago, and the care and maintenance instructions said not to use steel wool on stainless- apparently the steel dust gets in the stainless grain and “stains” the stainless.

Fwiw

I would probably get a good 3M green scrubby, slap down some Bar Keepers friend and a good cleaner like Simple Green and spend ten minutes scrubbing. Scrub with the grain as much as possible. You will probably see some scrubbing marks, but if that removes the tempering colors, then it will look MUCH better than it does now and probably look better than an orbital sander. It just depends on how deep the tempering is.
If it doesn't work, then you can still hit it with the sander or whatever else you care to try.

I once did an extensive restoration of corroded stainless steel on an old Lazy Man grill. I wound up using an orbital sander as it was far beyond anything regular hand sanding could do. No question you will get "orbital" swirls instead of straight grain. For that reason, I agree with what Larry @LMichaels and @Bruce have said. If you did have to resort to an orbital, you might find the look acceptable or decide to go on top of that with straight sanding with a block.

I swear, grill rehabbing is half of Harbor Freight's business.
Just like the big tool companies sell different sets of tools geared toward different student mechanics, Harbor Freight is should come out with different grill rehab sets. The annual maintenance set. The light refurbishment set. The full rehab set.

I personally love Harbor Freight. Their US General boxes are unbeatable, the Icon line looks real good, they’re moving up in quality and that’s a good thing.

Yah, harbor freight has a place. Not everyone needs Milwaukee or Dewalt quality. They just need a $10 angle grinder for a single project. No sense pay $85 for a Milwaukee branded one. But, then, sometimes you are better off paying more for the higher quality. I have lots of HF tools and know what I am getting when I buy them. So, when they are not quite as powerful or don't last forever, I am not disappointed.

If I buy and wear out a HF tool I'll buy better, and if it just plain sux I'll return it and buy better.

I've got a couple I want to fail so I have a reason or excuse to buy new tools but they are still hanging in there.

I’m changing all hand tools to Icon. My cordless are all Milwaukee. Fixing to go EGo for snowblower and yard power tools.

Back