Stainless steel rod grates

Without getting political I would say that these products are probably part of the tariff program. The Qlimetal grates are currently running $7 over the Hongso ones but both aren't cheap anymore. The Hongso are .2" longer which helps makes up for fireboxes that have bowed out. The Qlimetal ones look like they are finished a little nicer. Wait for my all out stainless rod review that I hope to do in the next week or so.

Just tried to clean the Hongso grates in the utility sink after just a few cooks, not a fun thing to do. Do you folks clean these, clean clean, or just hit then with the wire brush when hot? My first set of SS rod grates.

Soaked for a bit in hot/warm soapy water, then hot with a SS brillo type pad.

Just tried to clean the Hongso grates in the utility sink after just a few cooks, not a fun thing to do. Do you folks clean these, clean clean, or just hit then with the wire brush when hot? My first set of SS rod grates.

Soaked for a bit in hot/warm soapy water, then hot with a SS brillo type pad.

Hey Bob, I clean my SS stuff (if I want them shiny) with this...

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/oven-fryer-grill-cln-3-x-32-ounce/prod9260461.ip?xid=plp_product_1_1

Just spray, let it soak, scrub a little and rinse. It's also available on Amazon if you don't a have a Sam's club membership. For the grates though I usually just hit them with a wire brush when hot then wipe down with a wet paper towel only to catch any bristles that my have fallen off the brush.

Thanks, think I'm just being too picky with it being a new to me grill and new grates, I'll get over it. I will try the cleaner though.

I second the chargon. Nothing easier and supper effective, even on really bad SS rod grates.

Using a high quality brush and wiping the grates down with a wet towel after brushing combats any issue of bristles being stuck. I also discovered the real issue with broken stuck bristles is with cast iron grates. Their rough finish stresses bristles much more (especially on an inexpensive brush), and the surface never gets as clean as stainless. And, yes we did come VERY close to ingesting a bristle. Thanks to my using a brush past it's prime on my Q one day. Lesson learned. Brush went in garbage, and on the Q I use the wooden paddle to scrape followed by wet towel on very hot grate and an oil wipe down to make stick resistant. Stainless rod grates by their nature are smooth and unless using an awful brush will not break off bristles. Also by their nature pretty resistant to having them stick either. But, still a wipe down with a wet towel on the very hot grate, blasts off any dirt and down to shiny steel

Back