Stainless Heat Shield with Bricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernie D

TVWBB Pro
This setup has been working well for long, slow, low cooks. It has given me the most even cooking I have seen in my OTS kettle. It was definitely inspired by the Smokenator. Bricks under a drip pan really seem to even out the heat... Especially in the winter.

Here is the heat shield. Made from a stainless baking sheet. I made a cardboard template before folding and cutting the sheet. The wings on the sides can pivot for larger or smaller cooking/fire area.
Stainless Heat Shield

Heat Shield in Kettle

Above the heat shield, I place an aluminum bread pan filled with liquid.
Brisket Cook
Rib Cook
You can see for the rib cook I add a little strip off an old foil pan to block any possible direct heat.

Under the meat I have always liked to use a piece of foil as a drip pan. The foil drip pan is above two regular red bricks which are warmed up by lighting my chimney starter on them.

I always get a kick out of seeing the setups you guys are using. Hopefully you enjoy seeing mine... God knows nobody in my house cares... They just eat the results.

Really nice rig Ernie!
One that I may try.

I'm a bit fuzzy about:
"The wings on the sides can pivot for larger or smaller cooking/fire area."

Maybe my coffee just hasn't kicked in yet
icon_smile.gif

That's a great idea for a heat shield/charcoal holder. Even though I've got a WSM I still love to smoke on
my OTG when I'm only cooking a small amount of meat. What'd you use to cut that baking sheet? I have been thinking of going to a local machine shop to see if they could cut me something similar out of plain stainless sheet stock. I couldn't imagine it'd cost very much.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">God knows nobody in my house cares... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Too funny. I'm in the same boat. I can't count the number of times I've been at a get together with freinds where someone has asked a simple grilling/bbq question and 10 minutes later, while I'm explaining every minute detail, their eyes are glassed over and looking for a way out of the conversation...I have to realize most people don't have my addiction.

Great mod, BTW!

icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
was at my sisters house one day and started talkin to my bil about q. we talked and talked till my sister screamed at us to quit talkin about q. so we stopped talkin completely. that drove her more nuts.
icon_biggrin.gif

Ernie,

That's a rockin setup you made. I've been using tin foil contraptions when I do small amounts on my performer, but I've been thinking about how to manufacture something more simple and permanent. I was thinking about galvanized metal, but your pan idea is great. How did you cut it so clean? Thanks for the inspiration; I'll be doing something similar soon.

Thanks Guys.

Bob, The "wings" are the edges of the stainless sheet, flattened out. If I want more grill space, I can put the shield very near the edge of the kettle. I have to add to the coals almost hourly with that configuration, but I can also cook 6-9 slabs of baby backs at a time.

Josh, I cut the shield with a sheet metal sheer/snips. It was pretty easy to cut. If you look at the pic, there is very little cutting. The cookie sheet is folded in half before cutting the bottom grooves and edges, making it double thick.

Frank it means One Touch Silver and One Touch Gold the different model Weber kettles. Ernie thanks for the great idea. Those Weber holders don't hold enough charcoal so a lot of us have been using bricks. This is so much nicer and cleaner. Also like the bread pan set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back