Stainless axle for Genesis grill

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I know there was a thread earlier this summer about a source for a stainless steel axle for the big wheels on a Genesis grill. I can find it now. Can someone post a link to it if they know what thread it was in?

Thanks THyde:
I just ordered 6 feet of the 303 stainless. I had $5 and some cents in Ebay bucks and used that to cut the cost down to $5.40 delivered. One half of that 6 ft rod will go on my Skyline.

Bruce what is the measurement for the axle? I don't want to remove mine to measure, but I might do this too.

If you have a chance :)

Yah, I was thinking I will replace the axle on my personal Genny 1000 as well. Then, I will still have enough left over for a third grill.

So I just ordered a stainless axle and two new wheels. Actually, two new wheels and two new casters. I'm ridiculous!

I just received the stainless. I'll have enough left over for a couple more axles, if anyone is crazy enough to want a pure stainless axle, PM me and I can send you a length. I'd be thrilled, for example, to provide Jon with a stainless axle for his Skyline :)

Yup I received mine today as well. I already cut one for my skyline and I have plenty left over for 2 more Grills. The round stock came through in a long cardboard tube and was perfectly straight and smooth . For about 10 bucks you can't go wrong.

How did you make the cut, angle grinder with cutoff wheel?

Also, is it 22 inches exactly?

Thanks Bruce!

Tim

THyde, My old one was about a 1/16" under 22". I cut the new one at 22". It might be 1/16" under or over after cutting it with an angle grinder and cutoff wheel. I then took it to the grinder and slightly beveled the ends to get rid of the sharp edges...not necessary, but a nice touch, IMO.

It fits perfectly on my grill.

OK great. I cut my 6 footer into three axles already, and remembering disassembling the axle earlier this year when I painted the frame, I don't think a sixteenth is going to make a difference either way. One is almost dead on 22, the other two are a sixteenth too big and a sixteenth too small. I think there is probably a quarter inch of play in this, so it should be fine. One of the axles is bound for Jon's skyline, which I just kind of like!

You are good to go. You are right that a 1/16" isn't going to matter either way on the length of the axle.

Brian no need, those are the measurements after I cut the six foot rod. I was close to dead on 22 inches, off by a sixteenth in each direction on two and dead on on one.

Thanks!

Tim

Brian no need, those are the measurements after I cut the six foot rod. I was close to dead on 22 inches, off by a sixteenth in each direction on two and dead on on one.

Thanks!

Tim

No Tim what I meant is trying to find out if my local Grainger has those in stock avoid the shipping charge. I work for a big blue company so actually since we have a relationship with them see if the local rep might comp me one and deliver it to my office. Free would be good. :)

They are only about $5 per six foot length. If you can get them without paying shipping, then you are golden.

No Tim what I meant is trying to find out if my local Grainger has those in stock avoid the shipping charge. I work for a big blue company so actually since we have a relationship with them see if the local rep might comp me one and deliver it to my office. Free would be good. :)

Aha! I'm not reading right today!

So just for the record, the Genesis wheels are 8 inch wheels, not 6 inch. I have a pair of brand new 6 inch wheels, probably designed for the kettles with wheels if anybody wants them let me know.

So is there a vendor for new 8 inch wheels? If so who is it?

Thanks!

Tim

Back