St. Louis Rib Trimmings

Matt Y

TVWBB Member
For Smoke Day 8 a few weeks ago I made St. Louis spare ribs from whole spare ribs. I have a lot of rib trimmings left over and was wondering what others have done with them. Can i cut out the bone, grind it up with some fat-back and use it as sausage meat?

Matt,
They can be cooked with your rib cooks and make for some fine snacking.
Or cook up a batch all by themselves.
They also can be cured and smoked.
As I did here.

Boned out, as far as I know, they can be ground and used for sausage too.
But, like you said, may need some added fat.

Ribtips can be done at same time as your STL cuts or frozen and done later. I cook the flap meat in a small aluminum pan and either eat as an appetizer or save for a beanpot.

I've used them to add a little extra to sausage and it worked well. I've used them alongside the real ribs as chef's treat. I've used them to test rubs I wasn't 100% sure about. I've put them in a slow cooker with a bottle of BBQ sauce and cooked them until they were falling apart.

All that being said my local Costco switched to pre-trimmed and I don't miss them.

A brisket point (for burnt ends) was my original July 4th plan but it needs another day to thaw. Have some rib trimmings in a pan braising in Peach Cider on the Weber B right now. I usually cook them along with the ribs but had some left over from a comp. Whatever don't get eat will be saved for beans.

Originally posted by Matt Y:
Thanks for the good ideas. How do you make cook's treats, is that a particular rub?
I use the same rub as on the slab.
They can be sauced, but I like them without, most of the time.
IMGP1081.JPG

What others have said above. Look at them the same as you do when you part out a chicken. They aren't "trimmings" really IMHO. Since if you weren't doing St. Louis cut you would be cooking everything together as a slab - correct?

So you do the same thing as if you were doing a whole slab and not St. Louis. You just cook along with the ribs, check for done as you do for the rib section and treat the same. As in eat them
icon_smile.gif

If a have a lot of pieces I like to pull the meat from the parts and use it for "pulled rib" sandwiches - very nice.

I will often make a batch of beans along with a cook, once some of the parts have a good color and some smoke, they get dropped into the beans. I have also taken some of the parts and grilled them and tossed into the beans at the start. People love them that way.

I have also taken the pulled meat from the parts and mixed in with pulled pork. Excellent sandwiches.

If you are making a large order of St. Louis style ribs and want to save space for the rib sections only then vac seal the parts for a cook later.

Back