SS Cooking grate ?

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
I thought sometime ago I saw a discussion on here about SS cooking grates, vs ss "coated" cooking grates I think ?

Did a few searchs and as usual I can't seam to find what I'm looking for.

Are the "top" (WSM), cooking grates that are available at stores like Home Depot the same quality as those directly from weber ?

Seams to me there was some difference in the quality ?

Any info appreciated.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are the "top" (WSM), cooking grates that are available at stores like Home Depot the same quality as those directly from weber ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm curious myself, hopefully somebody can help us out here.

I'd assume solid SS would resist rusting longer than SS coated. SS coating can burn off under high heat. I've had weber grates rust.

However, I'd be very surprised if they made solid SS grates. Seems like they would be expensive.

My local Farm & Fleet had all Weber accessories marked down yesterday. The new top grate I picked up for a 18.5 grill seems like the same quality as the original on my 08 WSM.

Tim

John,
I have the 18.5 WSM. The Weber grates that come with the WSM are nickle-plated. If you want stainless steel, you can do what I did and order 18.5 inch hinged solid stainless steel grates. Weber's website no longer lists them, but if you call, you can get them sent out. I use two of them, with the bottom grate resting on the bolt ends.
Hope this helps,
Mike

My factory grate is fine I just thought I would buy an extra top grate to rest on the bolt ends as mentioned.

Maybe my question should have been are the Home Depot top grates nickel plated ?

Related and Similar Question.

I've got a Weber 22.5 Kettle at my dad's house. Will the 22.5 WSM grate fit? These are much thicker and more sturdy than the ones that come with the Kettle. I'd like to order as a replacement.

I'd test myself but I am 100 miles away.

Thanks in advance.

JKC

Yes they will, I got the hinged one at HD for my kettle. It's the same as what comes in the Gold and or the Performer.

I replaced the top grate of the WSM and the grate of my kettle with the SS about two years ago. They are holding up fine. I was purchasing grates annually, so I am happy. The HD grates are nickel plated (at least what is stocked locally).

Gary

Back