Squirrel recipe

I have never tasted squirrel. Here in Norway we have only eaten them during hard times, when meat supply has been low. I'm sure there is a good reason for this..

I've eaten lots of meats, including snake, buffalo, pigeon, crocodile, kangaroo, antilope, guina pig, beaver, bear, moose, and so on, but never a squirrel.

I found these recipes- you might want to try them:
http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/squirrel.html

Chili is about the only thing I've heard of doing with them. They're too lean and small for much else.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robin C:
I've got a couple of squirrels - any suggestions on how to cook them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Was one of them wearing goggles by any chance?

HAHAHAHAHA...Fantastic, Dave!
icon_biggrin.gif

That brought back so many memories.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure there are good reasons why squirrel is not particularly popular (boney for start) but it's good to try new things.

No idea what the goggles joke means...

Pan fried, like chicken, is very good, if the squirrels are young.
Braised would be better for older more tough ones.
Not sure about grilling/queing.

Excellent eating if prepared properly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:
Pan fried, like chicken, is very good, if the squirrels are young.
Braised would be better for older more tough ones. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My dad grew up dirt poor in a large family. They supplemented their food by hunting and fishing. Later, dad still had a fondness for squirrel. Mom always braised the squirrels as Bob mentioned. She would cook them much like her fried chicken. She would dredge them in seasoned flour, fry them in a large skillet 'til browned and, then, cover the skillet and place it into the oven. The squirrels would continue to cook in their own juices in the oven.

###

seasoned flour in electric skillet, after they start browning add a tablespoon of water in the pan, leave the top on... steams them until done, if they need crisping up at the end take the lid off and finish them off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No idea what the goggles joke means... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back in the 50's there was a cartoon TV show about a flying squirrel and his buddy, a moose.
The squirrel, of course, needed goggles like all flyboys.

Google "Rocket J. Squirrel" for facts and images.

If you're serious about this:
(No, I'm not a "hillbilly" - at least, not COMPLETELY
icon_razz.gif
, and this was not composed while listening to "Dueling Banjos".)

We used to hunt fox squirrels - they're bigger, like eating a smallish cottontail rabbit. Reds and Greys are just too darned small to be worth the effort. If you're used to hunting / eating rabbit, you can prepare them in about the same way, they'll just cook a bit quicker.

On the other hand, Pink Squirrels have been known to go-down good after a somewhat large meal at your favorite old-school Wisconsin "supper-club"
icon_biggrin.gif

Skin & dress them, cut-off the head, feet, and tail. Skinning them works best if you separate the skin in the middle, then play tug-o-war with two people - to stretch the front skin to the neck and the back skin rearwards, like removing a tight shirt & pair of pants.

Quarter the carcases, and give them a light coat of salt & pepper.

Put them in a baking dish, and lay strips of bacon and onions over the top (keeps them from drying-out, and provides some fat to keep them moist).

I'm not sure about the exact baking temp & time, but I would think that around 350°F for a bit over an hour should work about right.

Some of this may sound a bit morbid to some of you, but if you like hasenpfeffer (German-style rabbit, you'll probably like this as well. As a matter-of-fact, you could probably use the same recipes, but again - expect the cooking to take a little less time.)

Hi Robin - back in college we used to hunt grey squirrels. One of my buddies used to prep them pretty much the way Ron G pointed out - and would then then slow cook for an hour or so. No idea what he seasoned them with or any other details (sorry) - but back then with a few beers (ok more than a few) i recall they were ok.

Growing up we had squirrel, pheasant and rabbit frequently. My father used to hunt when he was younger, but not any time while I was in the picture. But he had a close friend who did every year. That guys wife refused to cook the game, so he always dropped them off at our house on his way back. My father taught my brother and I how to dress them out.

Anyway my mother (Spanish/Italian) pretty much always cooked/simmered the squirrel in red gravy. I remember really enjoying it. Loved the rabbit too as well as the pheasant. I'd have no problems eating squirrel if I had some now.

I remember it as being very lean. I don't think I'd slow cook it in a smoker. But marinade/brine over night then grill, braise, or just throw it in a pot of red gravy.

Bob, your post made me emotional. Serious. ok, I'm not crying here, but you know what I mean.. We spend so much time chasing the dollar which for me that means sitting my butt in a jail cell...I mean cubicle. And so little time doing what I/we love. It's things like a good family, trusty dog, and for me, time alone in the woods, that really matter.

Anyhow, sorry for getting all feminine on you.
icon_smile.gif

Squirrel. Lived in MN for a while. A buddy had a hobby farm (his parents did) and his grandma would give us $5 for each squirrel we brought in for her to make stew with. We went out once, shot maybe one each, started to skin em, decided it wasn't worth it and fed them to the pigs. They loved it. Skin, fur, heads, bones, they loved it all.

Wow, random comments from me here. Good luck!

Back