Squeezing a little more real estate out of a performer

Andy Kaminski

TVWBB All-Star
I am smoking a pork belly for bacon in the next day or two.
There are 2 pieces just over 5 lbs each.
I‘ve done a similar cook about a year ago and really crowded my grate.
I was thinking about just 2 separate cooks but I‘d rather not be stuck here for that long.

So I’m kinda thinking maybe do a snake on the far side of my slow and sear with water in the trough.
I figure the cook might take 3 or so hours.
Do ya think a snake in there will last long enough?
That might give me enough room to not over crowd my grate.

Another idea is seeing if some of them stainless rib stacker racks that I’ve never used would allow me to cook them vertical or at a 45 degree or so angle.
I‘m thinking this might mimic them on a hanger rig.

What would you do?

I am smoking a pork belly for bacon in the next day or two.
There are 2 pieces just over 5 lbs each.
I‘ve done a similar cook about a year ago and really crowded my grate.
I was thinking about just 2 separate cooks but I‘d rather not be stuck here for that long.

So I’m kinda thinking maybe do a snake on the far side of my slow and sear with water in the trough.
I figure the cook might take 3 or so hours.
Do ya think a snake in there will last long enough?
That might give me enough room to not over crowd my grate.

Another idea is seeing if some of them stainless rib stacker racks that I’ve never used would allow me to cook them vertical or at a 45 degree or so angle.
I‘m thinking this might mimic them on a hanger rig.

What would you do?
I have one-of-these.

Attachments

• DDB26D5C-512B-4EB1-9952-7EA13AD574C4.png
    DDB26D5C-512B-4EB1-9952-7EA13AD574C4.png
    520.2 KB · Views: 41
I put some “studs” on the upper edge of my roti ring, I can use a solid rack on the bottom and the GBS on top and take the center out if I need to access the lower level. The bonus was I had everything except four 1/4x20 one inch bolts!

I like the tips guys thank you.
I ended up being able to fit the 2-5 plus lb. sections onto the grill easy enough without over crowding it.
The crowded cook must have had quite a bit larger belly cuts on it.
I was probably over thinking it too.
Thanks again.

Another idea would a foil ball to raise just one end of each piece of meat which would reduce crowding and increase air flow.
Just a thought.

I did a brisket once that was really big and I put a big aluminum can right under the middle of it to give me just enough real estate. Not sure if something like that would work for you? As far as the snake goes, you should be fine for 3 hours, if not, should be no big deal to throw a few more coals on if it's running low when you check on it.

Back