Spoke to Fast?..What's Going On? (Pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anthony-

I grew up in Monroe and we always got our meats at Brookshire Grocery. We'd ask them behind the counter and if they didn't have brisket, they'd make it a point to save some next time they had the chance and they'd call us. Great people. I don't know if they're in the Big Easy tho, may be worth a try if they are. Good luck

Mystery Solved!
I just received an official call from my bucther (Wyane) at Wal-mart.....He said this "pox" look is nothing to be concerned about as far as safety. He describes the spots as bruising or bloodshot vessels which happens at the time of slaughter. He also said this is more common in chicken and pork. Go Figure...you learn something new every day.

This cow wasn't mad...just beaten up!

Anyone else strangely reminded of the scene from "Rocky" where Rocky is using a side of beef as a heavy bag?
icon_eek.gif

ok, i guess im 1 of the few, ( i hope ) of not knowing the process from kill to market..Is there any place i can get meat that is just that, nothing added, just plain meat? i bought my butts from reasors n brisket 2..they were awesome.. i went 2 walmoart and got 3 slabs of baby-back ribs, used the BRITU rub n they were way 2 salty. So how does the average joe find meat that is non tampered with? If ppl want a garlic injected flavor fine, but cant plain meat lovers get what they want w/out paying double the price of the so called standard process? those ribs were the worst thing ive ever made on my great WSM n still, they were the most tender great looking slab ive ever seen. I just called em my Salty-Ribs..my youngest thought they were the bomb, the little salt-o-holic

David,

Along about 1970(ish) my father used to support the local 4H chapter by helping to buy a calf and participate in the cost of feeding. After the young steer was judged and butchered, we got our share of beef. We knew what was fed to the animal and how it was treated. We also knew the butcher. It maybe helped that I was living in Nebraska at the time, but I digress.

You might look around the area and see if that is still a possibility. Who knows? You are talking about prize winning meat substances.

Look for the 10% - 12% flavor enhanced or something like that on the package. You have to look hard cause it's in really small print. And the pinkish liquid flowing all around inside the bag.
icon_frown.gif
Bryan

Chet, do you think the price would be a lot more expensive than the average retail ? I might have to invest into a big deep freezer and just buy an animal or two and have them butchered. This will take a while due to more pressing matters but I want to feed my kids the most organic meat and veggies possible.

The cost is probably comparable to volume retail, but.... You will end up with a bunch of different cuts of meat that you may, or may not, want.

Check the primal cut charts on the VWBB home page and look at each "quarter". How many steaks do you want. Do you want to deal with "Sir Charles"? Fajitas? Roasts? Steaks? Brisket? Ribs? Hamburger?

You can have anything you want, but... what do you want? You get a lot of meat. You need to decide how you want it butchered.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David I.:
Chet, do you think the price would be a lot more expensive than the average retail ? I might have to invest into a big deep freezer and just buy an animal or two and have them butchered. This will take a while due to more pressing matters but I want to feed my kids the most organic meat and veggies possible. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then you better grow or raise it yourself.

90% of the commercial food source in this country is chemically enhanced in some fashion or another. Not excluding antibiotic or growth hormones in animals all the way down to chemical and color injection into the "fresh" seafood you think your local corporate grocery store is selling you.

David,
Go to www.switchboard.com and do a business search for "butchers" or "meat & fish markets". It looks like there are a lot of them within 50 miles of Sand Springs. Then call around, should be able to find what you're looking for.

Near me is an old mom & pop meat market-Stewart's Meats in McKenna, WA (shameless plug
icon_redface.gif
). They deal with ranchers they know and the meat is great. They sell sides of beef for about $1.79 - $1.99 lb. They're also famous for their pepperoni and beef jerky-great stuff. You might find a similar kind of store near you.

You may get some cuts you don't want by buying a side or quarter, but you're also paying hamburger prices for the steaks. Might be worth checking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back