Spoke to Fast?..What's Going On? (Pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anthony G.:
p.s. Is there really have a guy running around the New Orleans area with "Brisket King" on his rear window? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Blue-- Chevy, I think. Research indicates it may well be Rockin' Jake, local blues harmonica whiz, who won a 1999 N.O. Musicians BBQ Cook Off with his brisket.

My first thoughts were maybe the animal had an infection or was sick or something. I agree with the rest of the guys. Chalk it up to just one of those things, toss it and live to fight another day.
On second thought I probably would call the state agriculture commissioners office, county extension office, beef council or somebody like that and see if they have any ideas. They may even want to test it.

Found this meat inspection guide if anyone is interested. Took a quick run through the general and beef sections and nothing really jumped out at me, except for possibly bruising which it says the carcass can be approved <conditions> but affected tissue is condemned <conditions>.

WARNING: There are some pretty nasty pictures in this document.

I'm with Doug - I bet it's "enhanced solution" meat and that is what is causing the spots.

Just a gut feel -

Good Luck!

Scott

I buy all my packers at Wal Mart. Have bought at least 30 of them so far and have never ever had an enhanced one.The Wal Mart i go to always has choice packers with noting added. Now their Pork Butts And Ribs are a different story. Bryan

Well,
I brought the brisket back to Wal-mart with the Picture....The Store Manager looked at it and said "well my meat man is not here at the moment". After a little hassle, she refunded my money (Didn't have the receipt...just the original packaging).

Now I waiting on a phone call from the meat manager...Fat Chance!

Why does Wal-mart treat the customers like criminals when they walk in and out of the store?

Oh wait, I know why......

Because they can!
icon_wink.gif

Every time I ring the bell in the meat department at Walmart I know I'm in for an interesting dialog.

My last visit:

Ring, Ring

Person: Yes?

Me: Wondering if you have any chuck roll in the back.

Person: Ummm. (Quizical look) You might try kitchen wares.

Me: Huh? (Dumbfounded gaze).

Person: It might be near the rolling pins or meat tenderizers.

Me: (shake head) Oh, ok, thanks.

Andy and the rest of you yahoos...this is why they make places called BUTCHER SHOPS! No hassles, very knowlegdeable and will take an interest in getting to know you and your grilling and smoking preferences and won't treat you like a criminal entering or exiting the shop. They actually say HI to you and Have a nice day when you leave. Some even ask for samples of your work. NICE!!
icon_biggrin.gif

To clarify, Sam's and BJ's staff seems to be knowledgable also! Wal-Mart??? Come on!!

Thanks Greg....I'll speak for the rest of the Yahoos!

There must be many Butcher Shops in Cleveland and I'm glad you are on a first name basis with "Sam" (Brady Bunch)......

My nearest butcher shop is 50 miles away!!!
icon_smile.gif

OUCH!! (50 miles) What about Sam's Club or something. If there is a Walmart arund there can't be a Sam's to far away!??

How about moving out of the DEEP south and in to the MEDIUM or SHALLOW south
icon_biggrin.gif

What about a local grocery store...or should I ask if you have one close?? That might be a good bet!

Can't believe you live that far away from stuff like that!!
icon_frown.gif

First off you can't blame the butcher at wal mart because it came in a cryovac that way. If anyone is to blame it would be the slaughter house here it came from out in the midwest where alomost all the meat comes from. Wal Mart or Joe Blow Butcher doesn't have any controll on the quality of meat being sent to them. The butcher i deal with at BJ'S is awsome knows his stuff but they don't carry whole packers. Just hacked up no fat cap flats for $2.99 lb. It's a shame cause they don't sell enhanced meat there and would be great if i could my briskets there. But i drive to wal mart and get my choice packers there for $1.28 lb and will continue to do so.Butts & Ribs at wal mart are enhanced. I checked some local butcher shops and they want way too much a lb for them or they say they don't carry them. We don't stock them cause we don't sell any of them is the answer i get. I have bought at least 30 of them from wal mart and never had a problem. (SAMS/ WAL MART SAME THING) Just my 2 cents worth.

Cowering....scared....offering apologies and seeking redemption in the eyes of my brotherin'....not trying to offend...obviously wrong and paying to much...live in mid-west.....sorry for that....will burn down all slaughter houses in mid-west that pack bad meat....crawling back in to hole I came from!!

Greg, LOL Here's my point. Unless you are buying the meat straight from the farm or local mom & pop butcher shop is buying the meat straight from the local farm nobody really knows except the slaughter house from where it came from what's really inside that cryo vac. The days of walking into a butcher shop and asking for a whole packer brisket and the guy walks back into cooler and cuts it off the side of beef hanging in there is pretty much gone. I'm not saying that there aren't any of those places left but i haven't seen one in years. Bryan

My experience is that there is a big difference between Wal-Mart and Sams meats. None of Sams meat is injected and its all choice grade.

Thanks

Bryan, I must be spoiled...the 2 butchers I use here in Cleveland actully cut the packers to order. You need to tell them a day in advance but it is not shipped in. Looking to plant some major roots here now that I know what some of you guys have to deal with!!

Greg, Lucky you. I'm sure i could find one if i looked real hard. But I'm happy with the Choice Packers i get from Wal Mart and at $1.28 lb i'll take my chances with the Beef Pox ones. Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
(SAMS/ WAL MART SAME THING) Just my 2 cents worth. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not around here. Our Walmart only sells select grade packers, while Sam's carries choice. We have only bought meat from Walmart twice because of the poor quality. We still buy most of our meats from another local grocery store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back