Spirit SP320 - Input

Cody Bratton

TVWBB Fan
This afternoon I lucked into a little used, outdoors kept Sprit SP320. Aside from the faded control panel, all the stainless is in very nice shape! I had always told myself I’d steer clear of the Spirit line and stick to the Genesis. Well when a deal like this comes up, it’s a no brainer. It was $Free.99. And the original owner, purchased from an Ace Hardware store.
Everything I have read says it’s all SS internals, including burners and grates. Flavor bars I’m not sure on. I’ve yet to do a fold assessment on it.
What I am wondering is if there is something missing on the side burner. Normally there’s a disc that goes on top.
I’m unsure if I’m going to give it to my brother (he’s checking with his wife if he can have another grill on his patio). If not I’m thinking a good thorough cleaning, fixing igniter (hoping I can avoid replacement as it’s an expensive little piece), and listing for sale. Any input on price would be welcomed, too!

Attachments

• 85BC9FC6-DC52-44C7-81B2-D8F44121B89F.jpeg
    85BC9FC6-DC52-44C7-81B2-D8F44121B89F.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 13
  • C47D9490-6437-4B7B-AC23-7D571F7A219B.jpeg
    C47D9490-6437-4B7B-AC23-7D571F7A219B.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 5F18E720-EDA7-4DCC-B4FF-D33123D833E3.jpeg
    5F18E720-EDA7-4DCC-B4FF-D33123D833E3.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 13
Yeah looks pretty good other than on the side burner basically the entire portion of the "burner" is missing. However there are so many people on here who lay a lot of undeserved hate on the side burner I'll lay odds you can come across the missing item

Yeah looks pretty good other than on the side burner basically the entire portion of the "burner" is missing. However there are so many people on here who lay a lot of undeserved hate on the side burner I'll lay odds you can come across the missing item
I had one of those pieces and grate off of a Genesis S3xx sideburner that I someone was looking for, so I said I will send it at their cost for shipping... hoping I find some good fortune. But I know the sideburners weren't super common on these.

I always thought that version of the spirit was very similar to the Genesis of the time. It does look like the side burner is missing the diffuser.

I’m actually a big fan of the side burner. Especially in the summer in Wisconsin when it’s humid and 85. Fresh sweet corn was purchased from a farm stand for cheap, drop the corn in the boiling water right next to the steaks that are sizzling on the grill, my cocktail is ice cold on the side table, and the A/C is on in the house. It really doesn’t get much better than that.

Any idea if any of it is interchangeable with a genesis of similar years? From what I understand this model was only available for a couple years?
Some more knowledgeable than me may know more but I am pretty sure that almost everything was interchangeable

To me, these were the very last gasp of the original Genesis. The classic design is hiding underneath that “modernized” outer shell. I am pretty sure basic Silver B components will interchange.

Is the frame the same as the silver B?
No - it does have 1 1/4 square tube “arms” under the side tables but that’s where the similarities end.

The firebox mounts front and back. No tank scale the tank sits in well. No porcelain enamel grease tray

The frames are pretty sturdy

OK. so the cook box is even different than a Silver B!
I'm pretty sure they are the same.... I've flipped a couple of these and as I recall the mounting points ARE different -- front and back instead of a bolt on the left side -- if you look at a 'B' box you will see that there are bosses in the castings already there..... almost like Weber put them in there 'just in case' or 'if we change our minds'. There is no way Weber would have made new molds at that point in the life cycle....

OK, yep, same dimensions, but without slight modification they are not compatible. Kind of like the Spirit E300 cook box in the Spirit II E300 I am doing now. I had to drill and tap a couple bolt mounting holes in it. But otherwise, it looks like it will be a good swap.

For the side burner diffuser piece, one would think any round diffuser the same size should do the trick? Otherwise it appears to be an uphill battle, because the P/N from Weber for the whole side burner assembly seems to be Spirit specific.

For the side burner diffuser piece, one would think any round diffuser the same size should do the trick? Otherwise it appears to be an uphill battle, because the P/N from Weber for the whole side burner assembly seems to be Spirit specific.
This is what my wife’s spirit side burner looks like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 7
And it functions normally? I have seen two on marketplace for sale that don’t have a center diffuser. I haven’t tried it yet, as I’ve yet to do anything other than acquire it.

I looked thru the manuals on Weber's site today, and apparently it doesn't have a center diffuser on this style of side burner. Which I thought was pretty odd. Ordered the igniter kit today, and should have it tomorrow. Hopefully by the weekend have it cleaned up. Debating throwing new grates and/or flavor bars in it. I am thinking it would help it to sell relatively quickly.

No - it does have 1 1/4 square tube “arms” under the side tables but that’s where the similarities end.

The firebox mounts front and back. No tank scale the tank sits in well. No porcelain enamel grease tray

The frames are pretty sturdy
Do you know if any other grease trays will work with these being that it shares a fire box, I would think that would be similar

Back