Spirit S-210 Sticker Shock

Jay D in Jersey

Closed Account
Needed a few things from Home Depot today. They had a lot of grills outside with most covered in plastic. There was a Genesis and a Spirit E-210 not covered. I took a look at the Spirit, opened the hood. The price tag was inside...$510.00!!!
I paid $269 for the same model in 2015. The Genesis with the sear station was $899!
It may have been my imagination but lifting the lid, it felt lighter to me than my S-210.
I don't know, but I believe Weber is pricing themselves out of reach.
I know I can find a better grill for $510... new and/or used.

A story from last summer -

I volunteered/"was volunteered" to organize the end-of-year BBQ for my kids' school. Not the whole thing, just the cooking. They didn't care how I did it. They eventually told me it was going to be 80lb of chicken wings, 40lb of boneless/skinless thighs, and a bunch (about 20-30lbs) of hotdogs for the kids. I set up a grill using about 50 concrete blocks that was two blocks wide, long enough to do the job, and covered with various grates. For fuel, I started with a bunch of skinny whole trees that fit in there neatly, then supplemented that with various bags of charcoal.

This got the food cooked just fine. The chicken stayed on for about an hour, and I kept replacing it with more as it was a multi-hour event.
This was also a fundraiser, and they were looking for donors for various items on the school's "wish list". I was drinking beer, working hard to keep turning chicken pieces, hanging out, and having a good time. I was glad to be able to help with the food, but not really in a position to donate any money.

It was the wealthy dads that cracked me up on the inside. I could see from the expressions on their faces and their questions that they had nice brand-name grills worth $xxx whatever at home. They saw me with a toy shovel and some cheap charcoal and a little old spatula and some buckets of water and some free wood from the forest and a pile of concrete blocks and some mismatched grates turning out more/better food than they ever would on their fancy grills. They thought a pricey grill was a badge of honor, until that day, when the learned it was just a badge of spending a bunch of money and not knowing any better.

A story from last summer -

I volunteered/"was volunteered" to organize the end-of-year BBQ for my kids' school. Not the whole thing, just the cooking. They didn't care how I did it. They eventually told me it was going to be 80lb of chicken wings, 40lb of boneless/skinless thighs, and a bunch (about 20-30lbs) of hotdogs for the kids. I set up a grill using about 50 concrete blocks that was two blocks wide, long enough to do the job, and covered with various grates. For fuel, I started with a bunch of skinny whole trees that fit in there neatly, then supplemented that with various bags of charcoal.

This got the food cooked just fine. The chicken stayed on for about an hour, and I kept replacing it with more as it was a multi-hour event.
This was also a fundraiser, and they were looking for donors for various items on the school's "wish list". I was drinking beer, working hard to keep turning chicken pieces, hanging out, and having a good time. I was glad to be able to help with the food, but not really in a position to donate any money.

It was the wealthy dads that cracked me up on the inside. I could see from the expressions on their faces and their questions that they had nice brand-name grills worth $xxx whatever at home. They saw me with a toy shovel and some cheap charcoal and a little old spatula and some buckets of water and some free wood from the forest and a pile of concrete blocks and some mismatched grates turning out more/better food than they ever would on their fancy grills. They thought a pricey grill was a badge of honor, until that day, when the learned it was just a badge of spending a bunch of money and not knowing any better.
Yeah...I honestly don't know what this tale has to do with an observation of the current cost of Weber's entry level gas grill.

Scott, I liked your story. At least it was about grilling. You're also right about spending too much money on things just because they are a status symbol.
When it comes to money, this particular forum splits between those (who might even have means) who enjoy driving three hours to pick up a free 15-year-old grill to lovingly nurse back to life and those that really are the target demographic for the fancy new $899 grill.

Personally, I'm in the middle. I agree with the OP that even $510 is too much for a grill, especially considering what you get. Of course, without the new grill buyers, there is no Weber and no used Weber grills to play with.

Love the story. Any pics? I am not quite ready to cook chicken for the masses yet. Hot dogs sure. Brisket eh, pulled pork yes. I do, or use to, cook for about two parties a year. But on the spot cooking gets harder as I get less wiry and more stodgy. Good for you
Chicken is my weakest. I overcook to dryness no matter what. I bet i could even sous vide a chicken to dryness.

Last edited:
When it comes to money, this particular forum splits between those (who might even have means) who enjoy driving three hours to pick up a free 15-year-old grill to lovingly nurse back to life and those that really are the target demographic for the fancy new $899 grill.

Personally, I'm in the middle. I agree with the OP that even $510 is too much for a grill, especially considering what you get. Of course, without the new grill buyers, there is no Weber and no used Weber grills to play with.
$510 for a 2 burner grills with a painted steel base cabinet. It had stainless flame tamers and of course burner tubes...at Home Depot.
I thought perhaps someone put the wrong tag onnit...but no:

Tony -
Lots of people took pictures but I don't have one handy because I don't have a cell phone. The chicken was actually my suggestion. Dark meat can handle a lot of overcooking. People seem to prefer is that way. You certainly don't want people coming back even thinking that their chicken was undercooked.

$510 for a 2 burner grills with a painted steel base cabinet. It had stainless flame tamers and of course burner tubes...at Home Depot.
I thought perhaps someone put the wrong tag onnit...but no:
Agreed, way too much for that grill. Weber or not, it's still made in China and should only cost a little more than the other comparable grills that HD sells.

Not saying it’s good or right, but what can you buy for $500 today? Everything has gone up dramatically the last 2 years. Still probably worth it in comparison to other new grills, but definitely would make a 5 year old used Genesis much more appealing. Myself, having bought a 210 a few years ago on end of season clearance, I’d buy charcoal or save for the Genesis. The 210 is just weak for searing, the Traveler performs better.

Not saying it’s good or right, but what can you buy for $500 today? Everything has gone up dramatically the last 2 years. Still probably worth it in comparison to other new grills, but definitely would make a 5 year old used Genesis much more appealing. Myself, having bought a 210 a few years ago on end of season clearance, I’d buy charcoal or save for the Genesis. The 210 is just weak for searing, the Traveler performs better.
Well with a 2 burner Weber at $510 sitting next to 50 or so Nexgrills or Char-Broils at a $120 each and struggling with 7%+ inflation...Weber might be in for a bad time.

I hope that is good news for our used grill sales;-)
Everything is wonky. I found out my Rav4 bought new 8/20 (2020 model) is worth more than it's original sticker right now if I wanted to sell it. But, what's the point? Personally not buying much of anything new right now. Well unless you count my new "noisemaker" I got a couple weeks ago. :D But, definitely no grills!

Isn't that the old design? Did they not update the Spirit line? I don't follow the newer grills and especially the Spirit line, but that doesn't look "different" to me at all.

Back