Spirit 700 Restoration + My First Post!

Peter Park

Hello everyone,

For the past 3 months I have been lurking this forum while looking for a new hobby. Thanks to all of your informative posts, I have jumped into the fun to restore a FB Marketplace Spirit 700, circa 1990s as far as I can tell.

I made the rookie mistake of not taking enough before photos, but I did take a few that can give you an idea of what I had at the start of this process. I live in British Columbia, Canada and being in a region with little to no rust issues, this grill was still in very good shape, especially the frame. Looks like it was originally LP as you can see by the sticker beneath the control panel and converted to NG by the previous owner.

70631128445__446F7383-0EE0-4E7B-91C6-55FD227DACDF.jpeg
IMG_5751.jpeg

I began the dismantling of the grill, starting with the end caps and lid. Lots of carbon buildup on the lid underside that was taken care of with some oven razor blades. The lid alongside the control panel was then sprayed with degreaser and cleaned with #0000 steel wool.

IMG_5758.jpeg
IMG_5789.jpeg
JIMG_5804.jpeg

I then hit up the emblem - wire brushed and sanded to prep, hit it with a couple coats of high-heat gloss paint, then sanded away the edges.

IMG_5985.jpeg

Then it was time to paint the rest of the grill! That included the firebox and manifold. End caps of lid and firebox I managed to get it sandblasted by a professional - only ended up paying $25 Canadian all in!

IMG_5988.jpeg
IMG_5989.jpeg
IMG_5991.jpeg

Cleaned inside each valve, thanks to Chris’ helpful YouTube video. This preceded painting the manifold but I am too lazy to rearrange the order of the photos…

IMG_5780.jpeg

Onto the frame! Wire brushed all rust off to the best of my abilities, hit the surface with 400grit sandpaper, prepped with rubbing alcohol then time for paint. Used gloss 2x Rustoleum for most of the frame except the surface around the firebox, which I used high-heat Tremclad gloss (same one as the one used on emblem above). Put the frame back together thereafter.

IMG_5887.jpeg
IMG_5888.jpeg
IMG_5911.jpeg

I was initially confused as to what model this was, since the previous owner threw in a thermoset table that likely was rather from a Genesis Silver, not a Spirit. Nonetheless, I worked on the side table too - sanded, then further with #0000 steel wool and applied protectant spray.

IMG_5814.jpeg
IMG_5867.jpeg

Now the fun part - putting everything back together! Got new bolts for the end caps to attach to the lid. As for inside the grill, I replaced the warming rack (Weber genuine), igniter (Weber genuine) and flavorizer bars (knockoff stainless steels from Amazon). Under the firebox, both the grease catch tray and pan was replaced with Weber genuine and knockoff from Amazon respectively.

IMG_5959.jpeg

IMG_5961.jpeg

Here is the finished product!

IMG_5964.jpeg

Thanks again for all of the good discussions here that have inspired me to do all this.

List of all parts that I had replaced during the restoration:

Warming rack
Flavorizer bars
Igniter
Oil catch tray
Grease pan
Bolts to attach end caps to lid
A couple washers for bolts to put together frame

I will be keeping this grill as I will be moving to my first home in a couple weeks, where there will be a gas line already built in for me to test out the actual burners.

Cheers!
-Peter

Attachments

• IMG_5965.jpeg
    IMG_5965.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5954.jpeg
    IMG_5954.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 20
Nice work and presentation Peter! I like your attention to detail to frequently ignored items such as the manifold. I hope your new grill works as good as it looks since you never know when someone converts it. Welcome to the forum, I hope you stick around.

Looks good Peter!

As a fellow British Columbian, its nice to see someone else keeping them alive around here as well!
I'm currently working on a gen 1000 redhead and will be thrilled if it turns out as clean as yours!

Keep it up!

Very nice restoration. As Larry said looking at your ID sticker it's an LP grill and looking at the hose it appears to by an NG hookup. That may cause you a lot of problems. As the two aren't interchangeable.
If you're going to use NG someone on the forum may have an NG manifold that you can swap out if needed.

Last edited:
I agree. Beautiful restoration. If you fire up the grill off the NG line and the flames are very low, then likely the previous owner just changed out hoses. If you want to check for sure, you can try to stick a 3/64" drill bit into one of the vavle orifices. If it won't go in, it is set up for propane. I know you guys are metric, so you can just do a conversion on the drill bit size.

Looks good Peter!

As a fellow British Columbian, its nice to see someone else keeping them alive around here as well!
I'm currently working on a gen 1000 redhead and will be thrilled if it turns out as clean as yours!

Keep it up!
Would love to see photos of your progress, thanks for your comment.

I agree. Beautiful restoration. If you fire up the grill off the NG line and the flames are very low, then likely the previous owner just changed out hoses. If you want to check for sure, you can try to stick a 3/64" drill bit into one of the vavle orifices. If it won't go in, it is set up for propane. I know you guys are metric, so you can just do a conversion on the drill bit size.
I’ll try that drill bit trick. In the meantime here is what the orifice looks like but I don’t think it really means much on a photo:IMG_5769.jpeg

Looks like it was hogged out. Looks like it was resized to pass for NG. However, if the valves are 3 step (low, med, high) odds are it will not run correctly and have flameouts and such due to the low/med internal orifices being too small

I managed to get some more photos to help on whether the NG conversion was done properly. I didn’t have a 3/64” drill bit to slide into the orifice but I did take a photo of the diameter up against a tape measure - each notch is 1/16” and the orifice diameter is slightly less wide. I also took apart a valve and looked at the spool, which resembles that of an NG spool according to Chris’ conversion tutorial. Looks like these are good signs.

Attachments

• IMG_5994.jpeg
    IMG_5994.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5995.jpeg
    IMG_5995.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5997.jpeg
    IMG_5997.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 11
very nice work!
and this gives me hope for my own Spirit resto. of course, yours started off in a lot better shape. i'm pretty sure the original owner tried to use his as a blast furnace or something lol

Back